Review of The Lunar Codex

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review of The Lunar Codex

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lunar Codex" by Annie O'Connell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book One of the Codex Chronicles, The Lunar Codex by Annie O'Connell, is a novel of fantasy and mystery. Jace lost his parents at the age of three, and he was blessed to have a loving aunt and uncle. Uncle Roman and Aunt Cora stood by him and raised him as their son. Making friends was challenging with the constant moving necessary for Uncle Roman's job. Amazingly, this new house and neighborhood provide some great friends, and at 15 years of age, Jace feels like he's finally in a place where he fits in. When he finds out that his name is Christian Michael Volk and that he is a witch-werewolf, things get dramatic. Aunt Cora and Uncle Roman have been hiding him for years, and there's someone out to get him? Who is it, and how can they escape? To find out, you must read this adventure through the realm of fantasy!

What I liked best about the book was how the characters developed within the storyline. Jace's insecurities and strengths were perfectly matched to the personalities of his family and friends. I loved the family feel of the humor that Jace shared with his Uncle Roman and Aunt Cora. It brought the closeness of emotional connection to the book. Readers will identify with that aspect.

This book is written for the Young Adult genre. It covers many aspects of the teenage lifestyle and social difficulties while carrying the plotline into even more adventurous territory. The narrative is told in the first person from Jace's perspective. This writing style gives the narrative a personal feel that suits the book. Jace and his friends are typical teenagers, which will resonate with readers.

There were a few negatives with this book. The pacing at the beginning of the book was slow. Halfway through the book, the pace picks up with the first real mention of magical elements. Aside from the occasional and somewhat oblique comment in that direction, the book's first half is essentially the story of normal teenagers and the dramas they can whip up each day. After this point in the book, the pace quickened, and the story became much more interesting.

Another awkward aspect was changing the main character's name halfway through the book. Also, giving the main character the name of Christian while making him a cross between a witch and a werewolf seems a bit out of place.

This book achieves a rating of 3 out of 4 stars for these reasons. I found it to be exceptionally well-edited. It will appeal most to fans of fantasy stories with a twist and those who enjoy darker elements such as witchcraft. There is occasional profanity sprinkled throughout the book that ranges from mild to severe.

The Lunar Codex
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m looking for a new series and this just might be it. I am intrigued with how Jace fits in with his aunt and uncle despite not being their biological child. Probably a result go living with them from such a young age. Maybe his magical powers just fit and he feels accepted? I’ll have to read and find out.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I enjoyed your review. Maybe the author could have put more hints of fantasy and hints that Jace/Christian was different from normal teenagers through the book's first part.
Mvuruzo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mvuruzo »

Amy Luman wrote: 08 May 2022, 09:38 I’m looking for a new series and this just might be it. I am intrigued with how Jace fits in with his aunt and uncle despite not being their biological child. Probably a result go living with them from such a young age. Maybe his magical powers just fit and he feels accepted? I’ll have to read and find out.
I hope it appeals to you. Wishing you a wonderful reading experience. I am new here, but I hope to adapt soonest.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

I'm also a fan of fantasy stories. It used to be interesting as characters develop in a story because it makes the story come life and more real. But I regretted the inappropriate features you come across
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

Fantasy books are usually exciting and have some interesting back story, just like this book. I enjoyed so much of your review, and it made me pick interest in reading the book
Poetic Justice
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

Wow. What a glowing review, I might have to pick this up!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Amy Luman wrote: 08 May 2022, 09:38 I’m looking for a new series and this just might be it. I am intrigued with how Jace fits in with his aunt and uncle despite not being their biological child. Probably a result go living with them from such a young age. Maybe his magical powers just fit and he feels accepted? I’ll have to read and find out.
His fitting in was one of the best aspects of the early part of the book. Thanks for your comment!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Patty Allread wrote: 08 May 2022, 11:07 I enjoyed your review. Maybe the author could have put more hints of fantasy and hints that Jace/Christian was different from normal teenagers through the book's first part.
I agree. Putting in a few more hints would have helped a lot. Thanks for your comment!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Gwrites208 wrote: 08 May 2022, 17:49 I'm also a fan of fantasy stories. It used to be interesting as characters develop in a story because it makes the story come life and more real. But I regretted the inappropriate features you come across
Yes, as stories developed they become more real and that's why we love them so much. Thanks for the great comment!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Sarah1738 wrote: 09 May 2022, 02:09 Fantasy books are usually exciting and have some interesting back story, just like this book. I enjoyed so much of your review, and it made me pick interest in reading the book
Thank you for your nice comments!
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Diary of a wimpy kid
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Jydel »

I love fantasy and The Lunar Codex is definitely a book I would love despite the negative aspects mentioned. The review is enlightening.
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

I think the reason they moved was cos they were hiding not because of uncle romans job. Its quite an interesting book. Great review.
Destiny Freedom
Favorite Book: The Most Unlikely Champion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-aaton.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Destiny Freedom »

The review of the Lunar Cordex is amazing, I would love to this one out.
Many books can inform you but there's only one that can transform you(The Holy Bible). Pls don't forget to drop a comment for this review. Thanks. :D :tiphat:
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

My love for fantasy fiction is never-ending, especially if it has to do with supernatural beings.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”