Katniss Everdeen or Tris Prior

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EdenLove
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edenlove.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: Katniss Everdeen or Tris Prior

Post by EdenLove »

I love Katniss Everdeen. She awkward and does not want to be a leader but becomes one. That was how I felt for most of my life an unwilling leader.
realmorgan1124
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Long Live The Pumpkin Queen
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-realmorgan1124.html

Post by realmorgan1124 »

I feel like they're pretty similar characters in the fact that they're both young independent female protagonists, who grow and explore their emotions. They both have a good amount of struggles that they must overcome, and their struggles are what make them who they are. I would, however, have to say that I have a deeper connection with Tris in the fact that she chose to do something that was extremely intimidating to get a life with just a little bit more freedom and also one that represented her better.
Adri300
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adri300.html

Post by Adri300 »

For me it's gotta be Katniss. She started out just wanting to save her sister and then ends up being a political figure. She never asked to be a symbol of hope for the rebellion but she did while still holding on to her original values. All of which while still a teen. It can be said that Tris was in a similar position but it seemed very individually motivated. What do you guys think? :D
zula154
Currently Reading: Crimson Stain
Bookshelf Size: 4149

Post by zula154 »

Katniss definitely has a tougher character. Love both characters though.
ChelseaJohn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseajohn.html

Post by ChelseaJohn »

I personally prefer Tris Prior. I felt that she had more barriers to break through with less support. I'm not saying that Katniss didn't have a hard go of it, because she most certainly did. However, most people of Panam, besides those in the Capitol, agreed that the oppression of the districts was wrong. Katniss just had the courage to express what many others were thinking. Tris had the challenge to convincing an entire population that there was a different way to think and live. Her points of view weren't very common and she had to change that.
dela_knight
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dela-knight.html

Post by dela_knight »

I personally connected with Katniss more than Tris. I feel like Katniss has always been head strong and is an act-now-think-later type of person, I feel like that's more me.
Tamzen
Currently Reading: My True Love Gave to Me
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamzen.html

Post by Tamzen »

I prefer Tris Prior. I honestly didn't enjoy the Hunger Games that much, but Divergent is easily one of my favourite trilogies. Tris was a lot more dynamic and showed her flaws more consistently throughout than Katniss, which helps her to be more personable.
Ashdut

Post by Ashdut »

I definitely have to go with Katniss. She was bold, brave and didn't come off as juvenile as Tris. I also love that she is a huntress.
karlpelham
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlpelham.html

Post by karlpelham »

I connected with Tris more simply because I could relate to her situation, no matter how different than my own, far easier than I could with Katniss and her extreme responsibility. Tris was reckless because she had been pushed into silence and obedience her entire life and her natural personality resented that. Katniss was brave out of necessity and would have preferred the quiet life and never have gone out of her way to change anything if she wasn't nudged in that direction by the love of her sister and those unlucky circumstances.
Sarah Velliel Bryams

Post by Sarah Velliel Bryams »

I find both characters to be foolhardy and reckless. Although their stories are quite different the main heroines are too similar. From my point of view even if you take Katniss out of the Hunger Games verse and put her in Divergents nothing would change. Their way of thinking and doing things is identical. But still there is one thing Veronica Roth managed to accomplish that Suzanne Collins couldn't. And that is the romance. Throughout the whole trilogy it felt like Katniss didn't possess any kind of special feelings towards Peeta while the chemistry between Four and Tris was obvious. So this is the one reason I find Tris Prior more likeable in comparison to Katniss Everdeen. To me she felt more real and three-dimensional. I could sympathise with her and understand her more.
AbbyScuito1414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyscuito1414.html

Post by AbbyScuito1414 »

I would choose Katniss over Tris because Katniss knew what had to be done and she did it without hesitation. Although Tris did what needed to be done, she second guessed herself often and let herself get freaked out over her own actions, even if there was no other possible option. Not only that, Katniss also used a bow and arrow, my favorite weapon other than knives.

Tris was also able to choose what she did, and was able to make her own decisions. Katniss was given only 2 options, fight or die. Tris was given a couple options; stay in the peace of abnegation or join the chaos of dauntless, go against the system or stay with the flow, and finally to stay in the compound or break free. Tris had the option to stay safe and sheltered but she chose to live the dangerous life. Katniss was thrown into danger and expected to come out alive. Surviving the unexpected beats survive something you chose, at least in my opinion.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I think Katniss, mainly because I relate to her more. I am from a wooded area and also know how to shoot an arrow pretty well. Both are pretty kick-butt though!
Autumn Welsh

Post by Autumn Welsh »

Oh this is hard! I feel as if I have a more sentimental love for Tris to be honest, so I think I'd choose her! (Although something does happen in Alegiant)
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

I would pick Katniss, in every situation, you can see her struggle. She is put in these situation that she does not want put really tries to do what is best. She is not infallible, and in my opinion she seems like you would want her to be your sister.
Zzaakkiiyyaa
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 166

Post by Zzaakkiiyyaa »

For me, it is most definitely Tris. She started off not feeling like she belonged and then gradually discovered who she was and how strong she is. I think, in that sense, Tris went on a mental journey similar to a lot of people I imagine.

-- 05 Jun 2017, 14:13 --
Autumn Welsh wrote:Oh this is hard! I feel as if I have a more sentimental love for Tris to be honest, so I think I'd choose her! (Although something does happen in Alegiant)
What happened in Allegiant broke my heart!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”