Katniss Everdeen or Tris Prior

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Epuise
Currently Reading: Evermore (Immortals #1)
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-epuise.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Katniss Everdeen or Tris Prior

Post by Epuise »

Kat Berg wrote: 26 Oct 2017, 21:18
Londera wrote:Tris makes some really stupid choices that basically ruined the series for me. Katniss was more well-rounded and the story was much better than Divergent.
And she was also so very tiring. She whined almost non-stop. It was very hard for me to like Tris beyond the first book. For me also, her really bad choices ruined the series.
What made her choices bad? If you're referring to the movie I definitely understand but, the creators of the movie went way off script in it's creation. Half of it was completely unrelated and/or rushed to suit whatever they had in mind.
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

Definitely Katniss Everdeen
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Tris Prior.
I feel like I should say that I love them both and I think that they are amazibg females and role models. I cbose Tris because in the end of the hunger games series Katniss was portrayed as weak and she was playing the victim. I related with Tris more because she didn't belong in only one faculty, and I feel that if I was to be placed in one I'd be divergent too. Nontheless they're both amazing characters.
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ASB_1 »

I think katniss was more relateable and realistic because her character was more defined. She had to make difficult decisions even though she didn’t have much choices on the other hand tris was just confused and most of the time katniss was much more strong and powerful than she was.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

I love both and connect in aspects to both on a pretty equal level. Tris is shy, uncertain and very timid at first. Over time she grows to be stronger. Which is a connection to me when I was a teenager. While Katniss is a bit of a rebel and very strong in character to begin with but finds herself second guessing herself at times. Which is me now. So really I couldn't choose one or the other. I vote for KaTRISs as my favorite character.
AlicinWelsh
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicinwelsh.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by AlicinWelsh »

I completely prefer Katniss. In my mind there is no comparison. Tris is shallow, one dimensional, and selfish. From the beginning she thinks only of herself. I guess the ending redeems her slightly.

Katniss on the other hand is amazing. She thinks only of others, those she loves, and does things that no human would readily do to make sure that her family is safe. In her brief meltdown in book two and toward the end of book three, she still pulls through because of her sense of responsibility toward others. That is what makes her amazing and untouchable as far as comparisons go.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

Jfoust1988 wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 09:40 I love both and connect in aspects to both on a pretty equal level. Tris is shy, uncertain and very timid at first. Over time she grows to be stronger. Which is a connection to me when I was a teenager. While Katniss is a bit of a rebel and very strong in character to begin with but finds herself second guessing herself at times. Which is me now. So really I couldn't choose one or the other. I vote for KaTRISs as my favorite character.
I'm with you on this! In my opinion, both had to be strong in their own way to overcome what they needed. They are both great. I used to have this thing where I felt Katniss was bitter, but I look back and realize she had her reasons. Tris was naive, but it was to be expected with her background. Both grew in ways no one thought possible and I applaud them for it. :lol2: KaTRISs all the way!
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

Boom! And the epic question is posed; Katniss or Tris! :tiphat:

I love these series and so do my kids. I do enjoy both but connected more with Katniss. The skills she acquired having a tough upbringing and having to use those skills to survive, remind me of everyday life, in a way.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

Tough one but I'd probably go with Katniss.
I think for me, where she came from to where she ended up, she had a lot of bravery. I definitely wouldn't have survived what she did.
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

I root for Tris. Katniss disappointed me with her choices and inability to think for herself in the last two books. Tris on the other hand was always on guard and always stood by her choices.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Katniss uses her head way more than Tris does. Her outlook on life makes her more relatable. Tris at times seemed to just jump in with no thoughts of consequences.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I guess Katniss. I know exactly why I connected with Katniss. It was the scene where her sister was being dragged to participate in the games and Katniss was so desperate to protect her she volunteered in her place. I connected irrevocably with her in that moment, because I feel the same about my little sister and can't imagine her hurt.

Apart from that, she has the same confident attitude I've developed over the years, with a hard edge originating from seeing a whole bout of despondency and a sorta cynicism I'm not too proud to have.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I sincerely prefer Katniss. I relate to her story I have a younger brother who I will do anything for. She is very matured and her actions are based on the love she has for her sister, her family. Tris however is very annoying. I find her character to be uninspiring at best.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I prefer Katniss more, maybe because of her very introverted personality. She isn't exactly charming like Peeta, but she still manages to captivate everyone by being herself.
sasireader21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sasireader21 »

Katniss is the better character. Not only is she better written than Tris, but her over-arching storyline is more intriguing. Also, the fact that Divergent came after the Hunger Games, making Tris a beta version of Katniss, means that the original heroine is always the winner in these two series! Another facet to why Katniss is better is the way that she deals with the situations in front of her. She is pragmatic and rarely makes decisions without thinking first. However, Tris being in Dauntless, she is far more likely to rush head-first into danger without thinking. The thing that makes Katniss so great is that she will rush into danger after thinking and realizing what the consequences could be.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”