Review of At Odds With Each Other

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Review of At Odds With Each Other

Post by Sarah J Callen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "At Odds With Each Other" by Ben Suhrie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At Odds With Each Other, written by Ben Suhrie, takes us into the world of a recent college graduate named Richard. He is a young and idealistic man who begins working at Murray and Affiliates, an environmental consulting company, certain that he will help change the world. As the story progresses, he realizes that there's more to the company and this fight than meets the eye.

I really enjoyed this novel, though it is certainly not for everyone. I would highly encourage interested readers to read a sample of the book before purchasing—you'll likely know right away if you will enjoy this particular story.

At Odds With Each Other is written in the first person, which I thought was a brilliant touch. We are taken into Richard's mind, which is often jumbled and more fantastical than in real life. He is a gamer, so many classic video games are mentioned throughout, along with him trying to "level up" or go on a "side mission," just as characters do in video games. Richard is a pretty abrasive character; he has a snarky nickname for everyone and rates women on their attractiveness throughout the novel, but his voice is so distinct that I couldn't help but keep reading. All of the characters are so colorful and have wonderfully detailed descriptions, so I was able to imagine every action and interaction easily.

Certain portions are difficult to read just because of the way this novel is written. For example, some of the lines of dialogue are written entirely in italics, which I found to be a distracting stylistic choice.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the author's unique voice, which made the novel incredibly engaging. I do think it's a little too long and doesn't fully achieve the goal the author was working toward. If At Odds With Each Other had been a little less focused on the side characters and more centered on the overarching themes of environmental stewardship, I would have rated this a 4 out of 4.

At Odds With Each Other is definitely not for everyone. Someone interested in environmental justice might enjoy this book. Also, those who like novels with a strong voice and a complex protagonist should consider this novel. The protagonist does objectify women, giving many of them a 1-10 rating, which some readers might find offensive. Again, I highly encourage any interested reader to read a sample of the book before diving in.

At Odds With Each Other
View: on Bookshelves
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

This review sounds interesting. The author did a nice job in presenting the book to be interesting and easy to understand. Thanks for an honest review.
Gnex_09
Favorite Book: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnex-09.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Gnex_09 »

I look forward to reading this book someday. Thank you for being honest in your review
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'd like to find out what he found out about the company too. Great review
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

I would really love to see what was discovered about the company. Interesting story, I would want to read the story. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”