Review of Cryptic Magic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of Cryptic Magic

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cryptic Magic" by Lily Skyy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eighteen-year-old Kinza has her life planned out and is eagerly starting her first year working on her bachelor's degree in Human Services at National Louis. Helping less fortunate people was her goal in life. When Kinza was eight years old, her parents were murdered, and the murderer was never found. Kinza is a selfless girl who helps her grandmother by working part-time for a cleaning service. After being followed home by a hooded figure, she has a recurring nightmare of being chased by warriors covered in red paint. She wakes up to a man reaching for her, a bright white light, and her home explodes. Her grandmother tells her she needs to run because they are after her. She is captured by Zaid, who is from a parallel existence known as Rhapta, and he tells her that she has to stand trial for her crimes. What crimes has Kinza committed? Where exactly is Rhapta? Will Zaid hurt her? How did Kinza's grandmother know they were after her?

Cryptic Magic by Lily Skyy is the first book in The Hidden Prophecy series. Lily Skyy has done an amazing job developing the characters with descriptions like "pimply-nosed cashier." I could visualize the inhabitants of Lake Michigan and the parallel universe of Rhapta. I could imagine the portals and blood sacrifices. One lesson I pulled from this book is that people are not impressed with influential people; they are impressed with money, status, and reputation. The plot flowed smoothly between the past and present scenes. Although unusual terms are described in the book's narrative, Ms. Skyy included a Glossary of Terms at the end of the book to aid readers if they get confused.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. This book is neatly polished, well written, and has been edited by a professional editor. I only found a couple of errors in this book.

Due to the positive aspects outlined above, I gladly give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I have no reason to give this book fewer stars because it is almost flawless. The cliffhanger ending makes me want to read more, and I eagerly await the next book in the series to see how things unfold. If I write more about the ending, I will give away a spoiler and ruin the book for other readers.

I recommend this book to young adults and readers who enjoy fantasy and science fiction that involve prophecies, blood magic, and supernatural beings. If borderline profanity triggers you, you may want to avoid this book.

Cryptic Magic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really like sci-gi fantasy. Parallel universes have become one of my favorite things. I am really interested in what Kinza has allegedly done wrong and how the situation is resolved. Thanks for the review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

Wow! A story on parallel universe? Seems interesting. Would like to know Kinzas fate. Awesome review.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Kinza's selflessness endears her to me. This story sounds like it'll be a riveting one. Great review.
Badmusjamiu44
Favorite Book: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Badmusjamiu44 »

Dedication and selflessness is the key that make this book so interesting. This is actually a great review
Peace Chux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-chux.html

Post by Peace Chux »

The author was very thoughtful in her writing. It's different writing to impress and actually wanting your readers to understand everything. Her descriptions and vivid writing really made me flow with her, then the glossary. Thanks for the review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Kinza is a charming personality. Great storyline, awesome review.
Karylle642009
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Karylle642009 »

Wow a parallel universe it's really my thing it will suit for a young adults and people who like fantasy. Nice review
katerina_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katerina-12.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by katerina_12 »

The title of book intrigued me. I love science-fiction so Maybe I will give this one a try. Thanks for your review!
Use2alone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-use2alone.html
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Post by Use2alone »

I wonder what the next will occur in this story. It sounds cool and a little confusing, maybe. However, this book deserves to be read.
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

The plot of the book seems quite interesting. Kinza has to face difficulties she doesn't even know about, how is she gonna face them I'm curious to know. Wonderful review.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

The review is so captivating you wish the book was next to you and grab it. The frequent dreams of being chased focus on Kinza's fear that lay in her subconsious. i would like to know how she solves this and if she achieves her dreams of helping the needy after attaining her degree.
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html

Post by Sia P »

I'm quite curious now as to what crimes Kinza committed. I can't seem to stay away from books with cliffhangers, therefore this one will be added to my collection. Can't wait to read it! Thanks for the review!
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

It's been a while I read any book about magic. I would really love to read this one, it seems interesting. Nice job on the review.
Ronnie Comendador 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronnie Comendador 1 »

What an interesting story in a parallel universe about kinza!cliffhanger ending that involves prophecies,blood magic and supernatural beings?what a science fictional story book that's great..thanks for the review...

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”