Review of If Everyone Knew Every Plant And Tree

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of If Everyone Knew Every Plant And Tree

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If Everyone Knew Every Plant And Tree" by Julia C. Johnston.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All is well and rosy with the Campbells. They share a special bond filled with laughter, joy, and love in their household. This is especially evident in Oliver Campbell's powerful bond with Lily, his little sister. But this close-knit family is about to experience a tragedy that will shake their unity to its very foundations. What is this tragedy that threatens to pull this family apart at the seams? How will they respond individually and collectively to this event?

If Everyone Knew Every Plant and Tree by Julia Johnston is a touching story. It excellently encapsulates the dynamics of a family in times of sadness and sorrow. I enjoyed reading about fourteen-year-old Oliver Timothy Campbell, his personality quirks, and his struggles and evolution resulting from grief. It was also interesting to read about how he found meaning, expression, and solace in gardening—a hobby he inherited from his father. This hobby was also common ground and a source of bonding between him and his friend, Poppy Teasdale, who manned her mother's gardening shop. The tragedy that befell the Campbell family reminded me of similar real-life situations where tragedy caused all those affected to try to deal with it in their own way, often making decisions that had far-reaching ramifications for themselves and everyone else. This story was a potent reminder that grief is a powerful phenomenon, and how we process it can make or mar us and those we care about.

The best relationship in this story, in my opinion, was that between Oliver and Lily. It was heartwarming the way they played and shared experiences together. Like Oliver, Lily also had a thing for gardening. "Oliber," as she would fondly call him, went to great lengths to prove his love and devotion to his sister.

Oliver's mum, Anna, seemed to be the most problematic person where it concerned Oliver. She always seemed to be at odds with her son. As I read along, I got the feeling that Anna Olivia Campbell misunderstood or could not be bothered to take the time and effort to understand her teenage son. As much as he yearned for her acceptance, his mum always made him feel inadequate, unloved, and unwanted. For a child to grow up with such a pervading sense of rejection does emotional damage that may not always be immediately obvious or easily repairable.

This story was relatable, and I have nothing negative to report. It was also exceptionally well edited—I found no grammatical or typographical errors. The characters were well accounted for, and the story developed nicely. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who has dealt with or is currently dealing with any grief on a personal or family level.

If Everyone Knew Every Plant And Tree
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I enjoy gardening, but I have a hard time keeping things growing. But, this book seems interesting and your review is encouraging. Thank you.
Winnie_Grace
Favorite Book: A Bloody Book
Currently Reading: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winnie-grace.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Post by Winnie_Grace »

The review is encouraging as it talks about a very pressing issue of emotional distress that youngsters have to bear as a result of failed parenting. I would love to read Oliver's story.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

The book seems to possess high emotional elements, am sure the book will be a captivating read......nice review
Michael Agomuo
Currently Reading: Working At The Warehouse
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Michael Agomuo »

Great story for parents and their children as well parents should love and care for them the are the future
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

The elements of this book are so deep and relatable. It's essential that, as a family, we can relate with one another in a language or manner most suited to each person. I hope that Oliver and his mum can get past their differences. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Indeed, hardship and grieve can mar or make relationships. I hope the grief experienced by the Campbell family will make them stronger than before the occurrence.
Kevin Okoth 1
Favorite Author: Richard Schwartz
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 42043

Post by Kevin Okoth 1 »

This story occurs in real life situation where you find mothers mistreating their children. And this makes the children grow without confidence and also the child lives with fear
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This story is relatable and quite intriguing. This book possesses high themes and it has piqued my interest. Nice review
oliver alien
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by oliver alien »

The components of this book are so profound and interesting. It's fundamental that, as a family, we can relate with each other in a language or way generally fit to every individual. I trust that Oliver and his mum can move beyond their disparities. Much thanks to you for this excellent audit.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”