Review of Getting to Alpenglow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Getting to Alpenglow

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Getting to Alpenglow" by Jeanette Shivers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Getting to Alpenglow by Jeanette Shivers is a fictional story that unfolds through the eyes of ReRe. Aretha (ReRe) Malay Woods is a fifteen-year-old girl living in Sadeville and a sophomore at Sadeville High School. She is intelligent, intuitive, and has a unique ability to visualize her feelings in colors. Lately, things have been a subtractive mixture of colors for ReRe, and her life seems to spiral out of control. The principal cause of hers and her family’s problems is Tori, her older sister.

Tori has consistently gone through life using her incredible beauty and manipulative skills. On the outside, Tori is an overachiever, kind-hearted and perfect daughter and big sister. However, she disrespects Aretha and their mom (Denise) and constantly engages in destructive behavior. She often brands Denise as an unfit mother and unfairly blames her for their father abandoning them. As things spiral out of control, Aretha’s school and home life merge into one giant nightmare. Her grandmother’s words to Tori constantly ring in her head, ‘You might get by, but you will never get away.’ How will everything end?

Jeanette brings forth a story that appeals to young readers. The book is highly descriptive, for instance, when describing Aretha’s room and the reason for the arrangement. The characters are also distinct in terms of physical and personality traits. It is easy to see the two faces of Tori and the strong and independent personality of Aretha’s mom. The chapters relate, and the scenes seamlessly flow. The story revolves around the small Sadeville community, and one can visualize the attractions and people of the area.

I immensely enjoyed the lessons embedded in the story. For instance, the book dives into the mindset of a teenager, their struggles, and aspirations. It also includes lessons on harassment in the name of love and the dangerous nature of obsession. I equally loved how each character and their stories stemmed from their encounter or relation to Aretha. However, as the story concluded, despite the buildup, it felt rushed, and I did not quite get the ending.

The book has a few minor grammar errors; however, they do not affect the quality of the story. It is safe to conclude that the editing is professional. The language is simple, with only one minor case of profanity. Getting to Alpenglow is an entertaining and engaging read. It tells the story of a young girl as a student, sister, daughter, and friend. It also includes bits of the pandemic and the consequences of such sudden changes on families. I, therefore, give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this lovely read to young and old teens looking for a quick and relatable read. Parents and guardians who wish to understand their teenagers better can also read it.

Getting to Alpenglow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Farhanah Husain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Farhanah Husain »

The quality of the story is good as well as the characters are utterly good since the characters and the flow of the story also happens in real life. It gives moral lesson and realization. Also, it benefits the readers for improving or analyzing proper social behavior and set their mind to learn what is ethically wrong and right. They are good for family to learn understand each other.
daniel ubong

Post by daniel ubong »

Nice book full of moral lessons but I think Tori is giving too many good qualities nevertheless it's a good one
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

Seems like a pretty interesting book to me. Tori seems like a pretty destructive person and I think Rere and her mother should do something about it.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This is a very detailed description of events in the book. Nice work
Ronnie Comendador 1

Post by Ronnie Comendador 1 »

Nice book and the quality of the story was having a full of morals what an interesting storyline..well it's good for the whole family that brings a good morals and realizations in life.. thanks for the review..

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”