The Hunger Games Review (Book #1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Re: The Hunger Games Review (Book #1)

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

I agree with you that the start did drag on for awhile, but when the story started to pick up, boy did it ever pick up! I liked Katniss' character, but at times I found her to be a little whiney. Like I just wished she would suck it up and get over herself and do what had to be done. I know in the end that's exactly what she always did but I kind of got tired of all of the lamenting over every little thing. I just wish she were a little stronger. But the plot carried her through everything which I really appreciated. At least that made up for where she was weak. It is also one of the most unique books I have read in a very long time, even since more people have been writing in the same genre. I very much enjoyed the first book. So much so that as soon as I finished it my boyfriend at the time got in the car and went and bought the other two immediately so we could see what happened! Great review.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
MelB
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melb.html

Post by MelB »

If you love a book with a strong independent female role then this is the book for you!! I couldn't stop reading this book!!!!
wapeeler

Post by wapeeler »

I too found the first half to be a little slow, but the biggest aggravation to me was the drawn out love triangle. Yes this book/series is a YA book, but the love story was a bit contrived in my opinion.
Kittenz91
Currently Reading: Hollow City

Post by Kittenz91 »

I was totally gripped from the first sentence when I first read The Hunger Games. I think Katniss is an incredible Protagonist and, dare I say it, quite the Young Adult role model. The way she is defensive over her sister- her emotions toward her mother and how she handles the situations she is put in.

Reading this book and following Katniss as she develops as a character is intruiging and I truly think MS Collins did a fantastic job. Every time I just settle into what's going on, something else happens to bring me back to the edge of my seat.

Bravo.

This was a great review and I agree completely.
RBest
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rbest.html

Post by RBest »

I love "The Hunger Games". This was the book that got me into reading. I literally could not put it down. I believe I read it in a day. This book is very intense, and shocking. At first, when a couple people told me about this book, I was disgusted. I could not believe anyone would want to read a book like this. I decided to give it a chance, and it blew my mind. It was so incredible!!
sophieee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophieee.html

Post by sophieee »

Loved the Hunger Games series.

One of the best 3-book series I have read.

Great review :D

-- 12 Sep 2016, 05:17 --

Loved the Hunger Games series.

One of the best 3-book series I have read.

Great review :D
Dinneen+1998
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dinneen-1998.html

Post by Dinneen+1998 »

I was hooked right when I started reading these books!I started watching the movies but before part 1 came out,I read the whole series.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Lucindaheartbooks, this is exactly what i went through when i was reading the book. And undoubtedly this is amongst the best trilogies i have read. :D
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Summer3706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer3706.html

Post by Summer3706 »

My sister bought this series and loaned it to me. I believe I devoured it within days and couldn't wait to read the final book. The characters were well developed. I remember when the movie came iut. I was so excited to see it, but I felt it was not nearly as good as the book and only wound up watching the first movie of the series.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I read the book back in like 7th grade and I actually really liked it. Everyone was really hyped up about it when I started reading it.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
PedanticAF
Currently Reading: Uglies
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pedanticaf.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by PedanticAF »

I thoroughly enjoyed your review! I loved this book as well, I completely agree with how you said it is a book that keeps you on the edge of your seat. I finished it in one day. Then I went on to finish the next two books of the series over the next two days, I couldn't stop reading, such a great series.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
-Lahla-
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lahla.html

Post by -Lahla- »

I think I'm the only person that just don't like The Hunger Games. I don't understand the hype or why it was even made into a movie. I'm a fast reader and a very good reader, I'll give the chance to almost everything except The Hunger Games and The Fault in Our Star. It took me almost a year to pass the first ten pages. Every time I tried to read the book I found my mind going to different places or falling asleep. It was too common and expectable. Of course she would sacrifice herself for her sister, of course, she would fall in love and of course, she would rebel against the system. I mean Divergent and The Hunger Games could prequel to each other and be the perfect match.
re_aguilar
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-re-aguilar.html

Post by re_aguilar »

I initially say the movie with my sister because she read the book right before the movie came out. I enjoyed the movie and wanted to know what happened so I borrowed the book from my sister and read it within a day! That alone speaks volumes because I was a slower reader at the time. The first book is amazing and it introduces and engulfs the read into the world of Katniss Everden. She brings us a great perspective and easy to relate to even though the reader is sitting and reading and not fighting in the Hunger Games arena. I recommend this book to anybody that hasn't read it or for someone that is not an avid reader to get into reading. I enjoyed the characters and plot so much that I ended up reading the whole trilogy in 4 days! The Hunger Games is too good to pass up!
Khaya
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaya.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Khaya »

I really liked the The Hunger Games trilogy and found the first two books engrossing. I'm a slow reader, but I remember not being able to put the book down. I believe I read the first two books in about 4-5 days.

The third book, Mockingjay, wasn't as much of a page turner for me. While I really liked the ending, I found the story structure messy, more specifically in the middle. Maybe Collins was more rushed while refining it? Either way, still loved the trilogy.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
LainaLuxury
Currently Reading: The Maze Runner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lainaluxury.html

Post by LainaLuxury »

Yes! This book was very good! It was extremely difficult for me to stop reading at anytime because I was so caught up in it. These are the kind of books I love. The ones the pull you right into them. Books like this one are the reason I love to read.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”