REVIEW: Searching For Alaska by John Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sally Balboa
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-balboa.html
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf

REVIEW: Searching For Alaska by John Green

Post by Sally Balboa »

This novel is all about the great Perhaps. A worthy search if I do say so myself, however the great perhaps turns into something sad and in a way unattainable, this didn't make it unreadable just a little on the boring side. I got this novel because everyone said it was a wonderful read, plus I'd just gotten done reading The Fault In Our Stars and loved it. This is not The Fault In Our Stars, it does however have a lot of the same underlying sadness, without much hope for someone to break a funny.

Pudge comes to a new school with his last one being a giant disappointment, no friends, no girlfriend, and no hope for a social life with friends. Thankfully, that isn't the way his new school goes, he finds friends a one in a lifetime love, and the greatest tragedy he may ever know in his adolescence. That's is when the search for The Great Perhaps begins, and when everyone begins looking for Alaska.

I can't help but feel that John Green didn't quite deliver, and that this book suffered from its own fame. I guess I was expecting something to wow me, but I am left feeling meh.

I loved watching Pudge grow as a person and out of the shell and good habits that he has always kept. I actually liked all of the characters, if John green has one talent it is that he can make his characters believable, fun, and loveable.
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”