Review of Xandon and the King's Scepter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of Xandon and the King's Scepter

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Xandon and the King's Scepter" by Tyson Vonn Beck.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For his twelfth birthday, Xandon gets a surprise gift — a 'bad omen.' An ancient heritage beckons to him, and with it comes an evil force against which he seems powerless. Thrown into a battle of wits, Xandon must use his crude yet pure skills to fight against masters of the game. In Xandon and the King's Scepter by Tyson Vonn Beck, Xandon's courage and forbearance are put to the test. Does the orphaned Xandon of Avondale have what it takes to defeat this evil force? Fate and choices will reveal this in a tale of wonder, magic, and courage.

Xandon and the King's Scepter is a classic tale of bravery and the battle between good and evil. I appreciate the fact that Xandon's narrative arc of the story was not overdone; his strength and abilities were subtle and explainable, especially in a world filled with magic and sorcery. Through sheer will and survival skills, he fights to bring justice and peace to Avondale. This gives the story a realistic tone without drowning out the mythical vibes. There is also space for humor, as one or two dialogue scenes make for a good laugh. Also, the children's banter is quite nostalgic.

One impressive quality of this book is the author's ability to bring the story to life with vivid descriptions of creatures like harpatrice lizards, grimlock, and plants like the deadsies. The kingdoms with the history of their origin, wars, and administrative systems offer a natural and believable narrative. The ending is conclusive; things were explained as need be, and there are no loose ends. However, the story has the potential of developing into different plots and becoming a movie franchise. The sequel, Xandon and the Breath of the Lion, is already exploring this advantage.

There were many errors in this book. Worthy of note is the omission of apostrophe signs for possessive forms and the arbitrary usage of prepositions and articles. Besides the errors, the organization of the book and the descriptive vocabulary make for a pleasant read.

I will recommend this book to readers who love adventurous plots steeped in magic and myth. Harry Potter fans will find this book enjoyable, as they share some similarities. It is a book for children and adults alike; it activates the reader's imaginative cognition by depicting unique creatures, magical artifacts and abilities, and the history of times.

I’d rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The number of errors, which was my only complaint, withheld me from awarding it a perfect rating. Although it had some elements of plot trope, it still retained its unique originality.

Xandon and the King's Scepter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

This sounds like action . it is the most interesting review I have read from here.thank you for the great reviews
Barbara Perini
Currently Reading: Il nome della rosa
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-perini.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Barbara Perini »

I’m curious about this book, as it contains elements I normally enjoy in a story.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”