Review: The Selection Series, by Kiera Cass

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carolyn1854
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolyn1854.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Re: Review: The Selection Series, by Kiera Cass

Post by Carolyn1854 »

When I started the first book, I liked the dystopian setting but I was really disappointed with the story. I didn't like the main character America Singer. There was so many parts I felt like resembled The hunger games. I decided to not continue with the series because of that.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

Carolyn1854 wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 02:38 When I started the first book, I liked the dystopian setting but I was really disappointed with the story. I didn't like the main character America Singer. There was so many parts I felt like resembled The hunger games. I decided to not continue with the series because of that.
I feel the same way about the main character, I feel like the story had potential but America kind of ruined it for me. She was very impulsive which lead her to make, in my opinion, very questionable choices along the series. Sometimes I just wanted to scream at her :lol2:
Vumana16
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vumana16.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Vumana16 »

I started reading this series a while back but I stopped after the second book. I just wasn't really sold on the third one but I think I'll give it a chance.
“Even if you’ve always been that

Barely-in-the-background kind of guy

You still matter.”
Dear Evan Hansen
Val Emmich
Rapunzelfit3bert
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rapunzelfit3bert »

The Selection by Kiera Cass is one of the very best books to read as teens and pre-teens. It is a story about a young girl who is naive, determined, headstrong and faithful, and lives in a small village just like some of us. Until, a prince opens a pageant where he chooses his bride, and everything changes. For starters, this book teaches alot about relationships, friendships, decisions in life and chasing opportunities. It may be similar to a cinderella story but in fact its not ur typical cindy tale. And i promise, you wouldnt want to miss other chapters of the series;))
Chiagbanwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiagbanwe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Chiagbanwe »

I loved this series. It was awesome. I never wanted it to end. The Cinderella setting really hooked me in.
More books like this should be published. This series is setting the pace. I admired the character of America. I loved Maxon's character too. Infact every character was memorable.
If possible, I would give it a 5 out of 4 stars. Yeah! 5 out of 4. It was that amazing!
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

I haven't read this series but after seeing them everywhere and hearing how good they are I'm thinking about buying them. I wanted to know beforehand though, if they're really as good as everyone says? The comments in this forum say The Selection was both great and terrible so I'm not really sure anymore.
jerick_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerick-12.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by jerick_12 »

Wow the plot sounds interesting. I may not be fond of romance novels but this one is worth reading.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

At the time I was reading this series, I absolutely loved it. But thinking back on it, I realized that there are really dumb parts in this book. Like how Maxon can easily be seduced and change his mind.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I've just started the first book in the series and I've heard such good things so I'm really looking forward to finishing it and then moving on to the next ones
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I have not read any of The Selection books by Kiera Cass. I heard mixed things about it and I am actually kind of scared to read it. I really, really, really want to like it.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
AshaCorbin1

Post by AshaCorbin1 »

I have only read the first book so far but I am OBSESSED!
America’s forbidden romance with Aspen was something I deeply enjoyed reading about and I was rooting for them until Maxon was introduced. I can’t wait to see where their story goes!
EmmaMay
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmamay.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem

Post by EmmaMay »

Once I started reading the selection series I couldn’t put the books down. I’m so glad that the whole series had been published by the time I read them as it would have been a long wait to find out what happened. The third book was probably my favourite though, despite the ending being quite sad.
Leigh__k
Currently Reading: His Dark Materials
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leigh-k.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Leigh__k »

jmjennings14 wrote: 06 Aug 2014, 11:44 I was really disappointed in this series as a whole. I was pretty excited about it when I started reading it because it had a lot of potential with the dystopian setting and the love triangle. I think that there could have been a lot more focus on the rebels and the history but it was pretty glossed over and only used vaguely. The love triangle got old really, really fast and made me dislike the main character a lot. I felt like she had no character because she literally flopped between the 2 guys depending on which one she was with at the moment. I got so annoyed with her that I stopped relating to her and/or sympathizing with her. The only saving grace was that some of the secondary characters were likable. Overall, I liked the concept behind the series but it wasn't well executed in my own opinion.
Honestly you took the words right out of my mouth.I thought I would have liked the book a little better if she mixed the novella into the main books.
cogitononsum
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogitononsum.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by cogitononsum »

I recall that when I first read it, I loved the mash up between hunger games and the Bachelor, and it was actually quite well written, but honestly now I think maybe young me was just obsessed with hunger games and loved anything related to it. The book was good, but it was too predictable. I knew what was going to happen at ALL times and the characters didn't even have that much of chemistry.
Isabel Winter

Post by Isabel Winter »

This series was immaculate. I loved it from the very beginning. The first pages I ever read were just so magical I couldn‘t stop reading. The storyline threw me back to my childhood and my primary school. I can‘t explain why because the whole story is so different from what I have ever experienced. I just saw the whole story happening in my old school in all the sneaky rooms I used to hide in and I kept reading until all the words were used up. These books took my breath away and I really hope that everyone who has the chance reads them. The story really is breathtaking and I hope that someday there will be an artist who can make me loose reality like this one did. I am so thankful for every single word and I‘m looking forward to this becoming the number one bestseller ever!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”