Review of The Promise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Review of The Promise

Post by Mindi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Promise" by Hank Ellis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have enjoyed reading The Promise: Journey to a Strange Land by Hank Ellis. This is the third installment in a series by this author. I have reviewed the two previous books, and I was happy to see a third book, as I have grown attached to this story and the characters. The first two books in the series are The Promise and The Promise: Discovering Their Gifts. The series needs to be read in order so that the timeline, characters, and plot can be fully understood.

This third book continues to follow young brothers, Peter and David Wilson. In the first book, the brothers found an extraordinary cave in the woods near their home. Through their findings, the boys embarked on supernatural journeys to distant lands and met a group of interesting people called caretakers. In the second book, a young girl named Catia, from Brazil, enters the timeline. Catia befriends the brothers and becomes a part of their adventures. The experiences get more intense with each book, and this book was no exception. The boys and Catia have to find the secret to an interesting machine that has been discovered, and the results bring about the most exciting and suspenseful journey so far.

I was excited to read this third installment, meet new characters, and learn about the new developments and discoveries that Peter, David, and Catia are involved in. They discover new supernatural gifts that they possess. New characters, both friends and enemies, bring exciting twists to the storyline. I have enjoyed seeing the continuous bonding between the brothers and how Catia also becomes a bigger part of their lives. There are many words of wisdom and heart-warming moments throughout the book and series.

There is a definite religious theme throughout this series. As in the first two books, this book continues to use Christian symbolism in a style that somewhat resembles The Chronicles of Narnia. The "Maker" is referenced many times and given credit when positive outcomes occur during an adventure. There are also many other biblical names and references throughout the story.

I really enjoyed this book, and the ending kept me on the edge of my seat. I don't know if this is the final book in the series. It could go either way. There is finality, but there is also room to tell more about these characters and add new adventures. I will definitely read more of the author's books, whether it is continuing this story or writing another one.

There were a few small grammatical errors, but nothing big enough to affect the score that I am giving it. I cannot think of anything negative to say about the book. It is very well-written.

In this series, the magical realism and coming-of-age themes come together to create a wonderful story for all ages. I have always been a fan of that combination of themes, so this is a very compelling story for me. I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to read a fantastical, adventurous book. I hope many will start with the first book and read through the series.

The Promise
View: on Bookshelves
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

Judging from the review the books looks interesting I honestly would not mind reading it. Great review
Zandile Molle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zandile-molle.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Zandile Molle »

Sounds like an adventure worth exploring...I'd like to read the series, I haven't read anything like that in some time.
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

What an amazing book filled with adventure and friendship! Thanks for this review.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

Amazing review. A great storyline with beautiful displayed the meaning of friendship.
Mega Jamatia
Favorite Book: Unchecked capitalism is killing us!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mega-jamatia.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson

Post by Mega Jamatia »

Thanks Mindi for your beautiful review, this storyline made me go back to the flashbacks of my childhood days where adventurous, magical, fairytales stories used to be my most amusing things that I always cherish in my whole lifetime.
Oni Tobi 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oni Tobi 1 »

This is really incredible which impacts one emotions and feelings.....
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This looks like a fun read. I think I'll catch up on the first books. Thank you for the review!
Eruditejerry
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eruditejerry »

Amazing book review.I hope the grammatical errors to be corrected and proof read professionally for proper guidance
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The book is a love triangle of David, catia, and Peter. The story starts in Brazil. The book is third in serie of The Promise. It has grown attachment to its readers due to its amazing bonding.
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

This sounds like an interesting series. Thank you for such a precise and beautifully crafted review. The combination of adventure, magical realism and friendship is something I love reading.
blackblue
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by blackblue »

This review is making me curious to read the book. Looks interesting and adventurous. Thank you.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I like all the adventure and excitement I sense about this book. I think I'm gonna like this book.
Lovely review.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Looks like a great read for the younger generation. Great review.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

This is a book that I surely would enjoy. Thanks, for this great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”