Review of Finding My Freedom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Review of Finding My Freedom

Post by smolbird »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding My Freedom" by Bridget Jones MBE.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding My Freedom by Bridget Jones MBE is not an easy read. This book is about the author’s traumatic childhood, and she wrote it hoping that she can inspire other abuse victims to overcome their past and pursue their happiness. Additionally, writing this book was part of the author’s healing process.

Bridget was born to a family of Irish Tinkers, known also as gypsies and “Travellers.” Her parents were neglectful; her father was a drunk, and her mother seemed to care more about rearing children rather than feeding the ones she already had. By the time Bridget was born, she already had seven older siblings, and would later become an older sister to many more. After a fire broke out and burned down their tents, her mother handed her over to a convent, where most of the nuns were physically and verbally abusive. This streak of abuse, whether from her own parents or other adults, would last until she was sixteen. Life eventually got better for Bridget, but that part wasn’t included in the book, as it only covered her life from the ages of three to sixteen.

Although it was a tough read for me, I loved the book in its entirety. Despite Bridget’s rough attitude, I liked how innocent she was, and how she took everything literally. She also had a strong sense of responsibility at such a young age. I also liked her brothers, Martinlee and Keith, and her sister, Nancy. Finding My Freedom made me emotional; I was angry at the irresponsible and indifferent adults in her childhood, and though their actions were understandable, I was devastated by the betrayals of those she trusted most.

I found nothing to dislike about this book. The writing style was simple, which made it easier to read. The events of the book were also easy to follow. However, I would have appreciated it more if the author translated some of the Gaelic sentences, especially the prayer that she recites. I would have also loved to read about her life after she finally became independent.

In the author’s note, she pointed out that she’s an uneducated gypsy woman and to expect mistakes, so I was not expecting to see that the book was professionally edited. I only found a few minor errors. Thus, I am giving Finding My Freedom a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Although the author’s intention is to inspire others who have the same experience, I would strongly recommend against reading the book if they are still in the early stages of their healing process. The details of physical, verbal, and sexual abuse in this book may do them more harm than good. I would recommend the book to those who are brave enough to read Bridget’s childhood.

Finding My Freedom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A really touching story and heartbreaking content as per the review. Everyone should read it and try to learn to say no to the abuse or any wrongdoing. Definitely going to read it.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

What a great review! I was sad just reading your review, I imagine reading the book would be a challenge for me. It’s hard for me to read about neglectful parents. Being a teacher, I see it all of the time and I don’t want to also read about it. Thanks for a thorough review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

What an interesting and thought-provoking book! I would love to find out more about the Irish Tinkers and how the author managed to overcome the hardships in her life. Thank you for this brilliant review!
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:49 What an interesting and thought-provoking book! I would love to find out more about the Irish Tinkers and how the author managed to overcome the hardships in her life. Thank you for this brilliant review!
Agree that this is a brilliant review. A review with the strong emotions behind it. Hard to imagine the hardship the author experience when she was young. But I admire her encouragement and determination to open the scar and being helpful to the readers.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Thank you for your warning.
This story is very heart-wrenching to read, and I'm not ready to feel strong negative emotions right now.
But opening up about past trauma can be therapeutic at times. 😌
Congratulations on your published review! :D
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Tareq Alqasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tareq Alqasi »

What an interesting and thought-provoking book! I would love to find out more about the Irish Tinkers and how the author managed to overcome the hardships in her life. Thank you for this brilliant review
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

Cool review. I will definitely be checking it out as it seems like a very emotional read. Enjoyed your take on it.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very powerful and emotional read. I would love to explore the author's story. Thank you for a great review!
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

I'm glad to read that this book is part of the author's healing process. I'd like to read this book to find out exactly what she passed through. Thanks for the review.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

After years of surviving trauma and abuse, it's encouraging to see people trying to heal and share their stories.

Thank you for an excellent review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
smolbird
Currently Reading:

Post by smolbird »

Kanchan Sharma wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 02:03 A really touching story and heartbreaking content as per the review. Everyone should read it and try to learn to say no to the abuse or any wrongdoing. Definitely going to read it.
It's definitely heartbreaking. I'm sure it will be worth your time. Thank you for stopping by!
smolbird
Currently Reading:

Post by smolbird »

Ldpuff wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 07:10 What a great review! I was sad just reading your review, I imagine reading the book would be a challenge for me. It’s hard for me to read about neglectful parents. Being a teacher, I see it all of the time and I don’t want to also read about it. Thanks for a thorough review!
Thank you for the compliments and taking the time to leave a comment! It's definitely a difficult read, especially if you see it happening in person with no power to stop it.
smolbird
Currently Reading:

Post by smolbird »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:49 What an interesting and thought-provoking book! I would love to find out more about the Irish Tinkers and how the author managed to overcome the hardships in her life. Thank you for this brilliant review!
I found the Irish Tinkers fascinating as well. Although, in my opinion, it's nowhere for a child to be if the conditions are the same with the author. Thank you for your comment!
smolbird
Currently Reading:

Post by smolbird »

Ada Ling wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 11:59
Agree that this is a brilliant review. A review with the strong emotions behind it. Hard to imagine the hardship the author experience when she was young. But I admire her encouragement and determination to open the scar and being helpful to the readers.
Thank you for your compliments and comment! The author is very brave to share her story.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”