Review of Peabody Pond

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Peabody Pond

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Peabody Pond" by Brian J. Heinz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Connor and Otis, captain and crew of the decrepit rowboat H. M. S. Wonder, are ready for a summer full of adventure on their beloved Peabody Pond. But their plans for fishing are quickly cast aside by a fight for their lives. A vial of experimental hormone accidentally released into the water has monstrous effects on the local pond critters, and only Connor and Otis know about the danger. These honor students from Pendrake Middle school are not known for lying, but their quest to find answers about the vial and the kidnapping of geneticist Dr. Wilfred Lambert has them wading neck-deep in deceit.

When the thugs responsible for the kidnapping turn their attention to the boys, Conner and Otis will have to seek help from unlikely allies. What started as a secret mission to uncover scientific truth will turn into an eye-opening journey about relationships and learning to look beyond a person's exterior. Will Connor and Otis be able to save their new friends from disaster? Or will they find themselves swallowed by the mutants that lie beneath the surface of Peabody Pond?

Peabody Pond by Brian J. Heinz might be a perfect find for readers looking for an exciting middle-grade adventure novel. I loved the science-fiction elements of this story and the author's ability to add valuable life lessons to an excellent escapade. I also enjoyed the suspense built into the plot early on, and the unknown consequences of the chemical had me on the edge of my seat. Young readers will appreciate the short chapters that make the book flow smoothly and provide the perfect stopping points along the way.

The book featured a noteworthy cast of characters that made it easy to engage with the story. I loved Connor's down-to-earth personality and his ability to assess the situations included in the plot. He provided a positive example of leadership and was open to learning from his mistakes. I also appreciated Otis for the comic relief his personality quirks offered, which helped ease the reader back down after the more intense scenes throughout the book. The author also included various antagonists that presented multiple challenges and opportunities for character growth as the plot progressed. I loved how dealing with the antagonists gave Connor and Otis a chance to develop new perspectives, learn about empathy, and evaluate their consciences.

There was nothing that I disliked about this book. Peabody Pond was well written and edited, with very few errors. Therefore, I have no reason to give it anything but four out of four stars. Since this book targets a middle-grade audience, there was very little graphic content. Still, there were a few instances of borderline swearing and a few scenes of violent death. I'd recommend this to upper middle-grade readers as the protagonists were just out of eighth grade. The book's epilogue opened the door for a possible sequel, and I would love to see more adventures out on Peabody Pond.

Peabody Pond
View: on Bookshelves
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This sounds like a really interesting book. I love the adventure that is described in this review. Peabody Pond seems to be a mysterious place. I’m not one for science fiction but this looks like aside from the adventure there are also some life lessons along the way . Great job on the review
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

What a fabulous review! As a middle school level teacher, I appreciate the honest review. This book certainly sounds like something I would have in my class library. My students would love the mystery aspect of this book and would likely connect to the main characters very well.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

Water and fire are the purest forms of nature. I believe they have form of formless. This is the beauty of reviewer. Thank for your thoughts. They are amazing.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

This book seems to be so interesting, I can’t wait to give this a go. Thanks for this great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”