Official Review: Ripley of Valor by Thoren Syndergaard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Ripley of Valor by Thoren Syndergaard

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ripley of Valor" by Thoren Syndergaard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Valor is a small country secluded in twelve valleys between the Madeeva Mountains. Each of its twelve districts has a unique climate and specializes in different crops. 17-year-old Ripley lives in District One, the most favorable for growing grapes. She is the daughter of the legendary Ananias and Maria, whose combined efforts saved Valor from the barbarian invasion led by Zortez the Conqueror in 1492 AD.

After her father’s suspicious death, Ripley works side by side with her mother on their farm. Her biggest dream is to attend the Trials, a yearly competition to select the best candidates for full-time military service. She thinks she can rely on Kaleb, her fiancé, but he only wants to marry her to get her land and title and enter influential circles. Her only hope is to train with Takeshi, a Japanese samurai who is a loyal friend of her parents. Secretly in love with Ripley, Lieutenant Darius will do his best to support her in her endeavors. If she succeeds in being the first female soldier in Valor, she becomes a symbol of hope for all the women striving to survive in a patriarchal society. An evil coalition attempts to get rid of her and stifle popular insurgence.

Ripley of Valor by Thoren Syndergaard is book one in a trilogy. It is a young adult medieval novel belonging to the fantasy genre. Springing from the author’s passion for the Middle Ages, it features a strong female protagonist and tackles the complex issue of gender equality. These are the aspects I liked most about it. I love stories where women fight for their rights. I particularly enjoyed Maria’s teachings to her daughter. On her mother’s wishes, Ripley acts against the norms of the time. In Valor, women could not own property, become apprentices, attend school, or go into battle.

The novel is primarily character-driven. However, the author does a great job with the plot development too. The story is full of action and intrigue, and many scenes keep the readers on the edge of their seats. In Part 1, I could hardly wait for the outcome of the life-and-death battle where Ananias and his army faced the same odds as the Greeks at the Battle of Thermopylae. Part 2 abounds in scenes of similar intensity: the attack on Maria, Ripley’s arrest, and all the traps set for Ripley during the Trials. These scenes are accompanied by marvelous illustrations signed by incredible artists: Chalky Nan, Oleh Yolchiiev, and Lucy Lisett.

The author is skillful at portraying both positive and negative characters. The plot revolves around Ripley’s development. From this perspective, the book is a coming-of-age story. Ripley is young and vulnerable, makes many mistakes, and gradually learns who her true friends are. You will definitely admire her for her courage, kindness, and generosity. Takeshi and his two daughters, Miho and Makie, represent a picturesque trio reflecting Japanese discipline and politeness. Lieutenant Darius is commendable for his silent love and power of self-sacrifice. Finally, Vincent, Thadius, Kaleb, and the Captain of the Guard have distinctive features that set them apart in a world of darkness.

Nothing is displeasing about this novel. For this reason, I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars. I counted less than ten editing errors, mostly punctuation mistakes. The occasional profanities fit the context. I wholeheartedly recommend Thoren Syndergaard’s book to young adults fond of adventure stories with lots of action and a bit of romance. Those with a penchant for the Middle Ages and women’s status in a patriarchal society could also add the book to their reading lists.

Ripley of Valor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is interesting and intriguing. I am eager to read the book.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I thought the cover was intriguing! This is not my genre, but I think my teens would enjoy this book, especially if there are not too many profanities. Is there any sexual content?
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

I love medieval books and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one. Thank you for the review.
emmy2002
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emmy2002 »

this is my kind of genre, I'm sure I'll enjoy this..
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the book has a strong female protagonist, especially considering the genre to which the book belongs.
mKlaphake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mklaphake.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by mKlaphake »

This book sounds really interesting. I like that you highlighted on the fact that she is strong female protagonist. I'm excited to read it. Great Review!
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

A book that speaks for women's empowerment. I should give this a try. Thank you for this astonishing review!
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

I would love to read this book. I love fantasy and the books cover already drew me in. I love the fact that Ripley isn't afraid to go against the norm of that time.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”