Official Review: Bucky Flea Burger and the End of the World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Bucky Flea Burger and the End of the World

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bucky Flea Burger and the End of the World" by Dale Green.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Did you know that a small number of house cats can secretly grow to incredible sizes? I don't mean through putting on weight or getting fat, but being able to rise to the size of a car, in some cases a double-decker bus. Why and how is this possible? I hear you ask. Well, some secrets are better kept well hidden.

Bucky Flea Burger, a newly recruited cadet, finds himself in a whole new world involving well-kept secrets. He's excited to be in the know until an unfortunate accident claims the lives of some cadets. Now his life, alongside others, is in danger. He teams up with Detective Sarah and some others. They have to fight back. Time is running out, and they might be too late.

Bucky Flea Burger and the End of the World by Dale Green is an incredible book from start to finish. The book has specific characteristics which are part of the factors that have me intrigued.

One of the factors is the detailed description and character development. The descriptions successfully convey the author's imagination to me. Although fictional, most of the actions in the book feel like they happened in real life. Here's an example from page 188 of the book: "His pink internal organs twitched and spurted reams of green rancid liquid. A blood-red cloak wrapped around his zombie catlike body; two red eyes glowed from within his hood." Do you see how detailed the descriptions are? Not only does the reader have a mental picture of the character being described, but they can also almost smell them.

Another commendable element in the book is the simple language. From research, I discovered that the target audience is in the age range of 13 and 17. For an average teen of that age range, certain words will be too ambiguous for them to understand. Those words aren't used in the book, which shows thoughtfulness on the author's part.

The book also has a storyline that children or pre-teens will find fascinating. It is common knowledge that kids have a habit of giving personalities to both inanimate and animate animals. A book about talking cats that have superpowers will surely keep them fascinated. To prove that what I stated isn't just a bluff, I gave a copy of the book to my 12-year old nephew to read. To my surprise, between the afternoon and morning of the next day, he had gone halfway. He only dropped the book to go to bed. I have to mention that he isn't a bibliophile like me.

Overall, the book was an excellent read, as I had no issues with it. It was interesting, detailed, and had just a couple of errors. Therefore, I would give it a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Both adults and children can read the book, but it is specifically recommended for readers between 13 and 17. Adults who enjoy stories like Alice in Wonderland will also have a swell time reading this book.

Bucky Flea Burger and the End of the World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

The cliffhanger in this review arouses curiosity in me. I would love to check out this book. I could also give it out to my kids too. Thanks for the review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Great storyline. I'd love to know what happened. Amazing review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”