Official Review: Torn Between Worlds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Torn Between Worlds

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Torn Between Worlds" by Nancy Blodgett Klein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Torn Between Worlds by Nancy Blodgett Klein is a wonderful and realistic tale about a young Mexican girl’s journey as she enters the USA as an illegal immigrant, following in the footsteps of so many other Latin Americans trying to find a better life.

Isabel Martinez-Estrada is only nine years old when she travels across Mexico and into America with her father. Establishing herself in school and learning English is difficult for Isabel, but with the help of an understanding teacher, she starts a journal, not only to improve her English but to cope with missing her mother who she left behind in Mexico.

Isabel writes about her daily life and her school, friends, and family. When the terror attacks of September 11 occur she is drawn into the turmoil and a passion for news and politics is born. However, returning to Mexico to visit her mother leads her to experience tragedy on a more personal level, and her life changes forever.

Inspired by the author’s own experience with her students, this story is written in the first person in journal form. This gives a very raw and realistic edge to the traumatic parts of the story. Isabel’s writing style matures as she does from that of a twelve-year-old girl to a mature young woman. This way of writing makes her character both relatable and believable. The innocence of both the writing style and the character emphasizes the stark reality and danger of life in Mexico and the uncertainty of an illegal immigrant in America.

This book touches on some serious subjects that should be taken into account, as it is aimed at a young adult audience. The terror attacks on the World Trade Center are covered in some detail, as well as gun violence, sexual assault, and suicide. All of these topics are discussed clearly and calmly, however, they may act as triggers for those who have experienced these things.

Overall I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was well written and edited. I struggled to find any negative aspects to this book and I fully enjoyed the story. As I live in Guatemala, this book really hit close to home with me as I know several teenagers who have made the long journey to the USA illegally and alone, leaving family behind with no knowledge of when or if they will see them again. I also liked the fact that Spanish words were frequently and naturally used in the text.

The contrast between the life of a child in the USA compared to one in Mexico is not often found in books, especially for young adults, which makes this story special. So many teenagers and children make the same dangerous journey as Isabel, therefore, having a book that they can identify with makes it even more valuable.

I would recommend this book to young adults and adults who would like to understand more about what forces people to leave their homeland and brave multiple dangers in order to have a better life and how lucky the rest of us who are born in safer counties with more opportunities really are.

Torn Between Worlds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

This is quite an emotional and realistic storyline. I would like to experience this book, and understand the drive to one's homeland (from another perspective).
Lovely review.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

This story seems very interesting and emotional, I think we need to read more of this type of accounts in order to get sensitized. Nice review!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I enjoy books that help the reader learn about the struggles of others and helps with understanding other people’s motivations. This book sounds uniquely qualified to help readers experience the reality of what teenage illegal immigrants face. Thanks for the wonderful review!
almakhu3008
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by almakhu3008 »

The most marvellously written book of all time, It has a drama and a nice touch of fiction to it. It literally woke my morale for the fighting and struggles of people who desire a homland for their future generations and are ready to give up their today for their generation's future...... just a lovely master piece ♡♡
Lizvip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizvip.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by Lizvip »

What an emotional book, leaving one's homeland is not easy, this is why it is important to be kind to everyone you meet because you don't know their struggles.
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

What a thorough review! Though I don't like violence and sexual assaults as you stated that it was described clearly, I think I'll give this a try to understand why people chose to leave their homelands.
We are all unique in our own ways :D

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”