Official Review: The Killing Plot by Tahnee Perry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Killing Plot by Tahnee Perry

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Killing Plot" by Tahnee Perry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Arela Harkess is an orphan. She lives at Temporary Welfare Cooperative (TemWel), where she and other orphans are taken care of until they are old enough to join society. Unlike most others at TemWel, she has no idea who her parents were; she doesn't even know their names. She's made it her mission in life to find out. Unfortunately, in Osiris, with the government controlling all information, it's not that easy. Osirians are the last of humanity. As such, there are strict rules governing what can and cannot be done. Violating these rules will get you exiled to the outside. As is always the case, everything is not as it seems, and Arela uncovers secrets that very well may get her killed or exiled. Will Arela find out who her parents were?

The Killing Plot by Tahnee Perry is dystopian fiction. The profanity and sexual content are kept to a minimum. While there is some violence, the book would be appropriate for anyone from teenagers to adults.

I was engrossed in this story from almost the minute I picked it up. The book is filled with action, and I kept forgetting I had to review it. Dystopian books are one of my favorites. Though this is similar to many (the world has almost destroyed itself, there's a totalitarian regime, and violating the rules will get you thrown out), the characters made the story.

The book is written in the first person from Arela's point of view. She's a strong female lead that is constantly getting herself into trouble. She knows what she wants, and she will do anything to get it. She isn't happy with the current government, but she's not ready to join the rebels either. She was my favorite part of the story.

In that same vein, all the characters were realistic and fun. Arela has three close friends at TemWel — Jacobo, Rosalin, and Jaela. I became attached to all of them. In addition, the bad guys are those that you love to hate. One person that you think is nice turns out to be part of the problem.

As mentioned above, though similar to other dystopian books, the author's world-building was exquisite. She gives enough details that the reader can picture these locations. Still, she manages to avoid overload by equally mixing action with description. My favorite location was the Underbelly, a kind of black market for everything in Osiris that's against the rules.

There wasn't anything about the book that I didn't enjoy. Though there was some resemblance to other dystopian novels, that's hard to avoid in such a specific genre. The characters and their uniqueness more than made up for any similarities.

This was the first in a series. Of course, then, there is a cliffhanger ending. A bit frustrating, it still left me wanting to read the next book. If you don't enjoy a series, you'll want to avoid this novel.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed The Killing Plot. There's rarely a review book that makes me forget I'm reviewing it. Therefore, I gladly give this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone that enjoys dystopian novels with great characters and plenty of action.

The Killing Plot
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love dystopian novels, so the book seems very appealing. However, lately, I am not a fan of series especially if not all the books are published. The enthusiasm after finishing the first novel wears off until I get to read the next one. Thank you for your entertaining review!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I also like reading dystopian books. This appeals very much to me. I guess I will have to wait just a little bit until the second books comes out. I tend to be forgetful and would hate to wait for the next book. I would still pick this up when I'm free. Thank you for such a lovely and clear review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Ebubechinwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebubechinwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ebubechinwaogazie »

I will love to read more of these series. Reading dystopian books fascinates me .
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

You know the author's done a great job at character building when the most favourite part of the book is the main character itself! Dystopian novels might have a number of similarities but they never get tiring! Your review was really informative!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 04:15 I love dystopian novels, so the book seems very appealing. However, lately, I am not a fan of series especially if not all the books are published. The enthusiasm after finishing the first novel wears off until I get to read the next one. Thank you for your entertaining review!
I understand what you mean about the series. Waiting too long between each one makes me less enthusiastic. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

RayRuff wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 09:56 I also like reading dystopian books. This appeals very much to me. I guess I will have to wait just a little bit until the second books comes out. I tend to be forgetful and would hate to wait for the next book. I would still pick this up when I'm free. Thank you for such a lovely and clear review.
I understand. I love to start a series when all the books are available. This was interesting, though, so you should put it in your list to read at some point. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ebubechinwaogazie wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 12:52 I will love to read more of these series. Reading dystopian books fascinates me .
Yes, dystopian books can be fun. This one was. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
ellaiela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellaiela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by ellaiela »

I love strong female lead, especially in dystopian books. Your review made me want to read the book this instant but if it's a series, it's really frustrating if you couldn't get a fill on that cliffhanger for too long. Thank you for the fascinating review, though, but I guess I will have to wait for the next book.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This sounds like a book I would very much enjoy. I love your review, it perfectly transmits the enthusiasm you felt for it.
Masekake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masekake.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Masekake »

I loved reading your review. It is well detailed and makes me want to read the book as well. The way you write is so clear and straight forward.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I love dystopian titles too. I hope Adela finds a way to find her parents. I wish to read the book. Thanks for the amazing review and recommendation.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

Dystopian story with a strong female lead sounds like my kind of book! I don’t like when the author leaves a cliffhanger ending but this one sounds good enough to try out anyway.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

A very informative review. I would love to meet the characters first hand. Thanks.
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

Dystopian novels are definitely intriguing, this seems like a story I'd enjoy. Thank you for this honest review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”