Insurgent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Insurgent

Post by hpsecrets99 »

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, Divergent. So I expected to enjoy the second one just as much or more. But unfortunately, I found this one really slow-moving and boring. I actually had to force myself to finish this. 3 stars.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I enjoyed this book. It was an easy enough read, although there weren't any parts of the book that made me go 'Wow!' It was just 'okay'.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
MelB
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melb.html

Post by MelB »

So I loved Divergent! It was exciting and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Once we got to insurgent I found myself getting frustrated with Tris always fighting herself. Even though I wanted to scream for her to snap out of it, I noticed myself reading the book even more just to see how she would end up. It kept me interested and the ending of the book was amazing!
Taylerkiner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylerkiner.html

Post by Taylerkiner »

I enjoyed the second novel of this series and am looking forward to the final book. There was so much action and suspense in this novel. The story was very enticing and keep me interested
sophie_mcmaster
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie-mcmaster.html

Post by sophie_mcmaster »

Great book. Great series. i actually cried a little at the end of the third book.
"I do not read for i have renounced life, I read because one life is just not enough for me."

Sophie McMaster
lovebecka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovebecka.html

Post by lovebecka »

Stacie_C wrote:Even though I found the whole series to be easy to read and a page turner I give the whole series a 3. I found a lot of flaws in this series but the major one for me was Tris! I was much more interested in Tobias. I really wanted to like this series. I loved the idea and concept with being able to choose where they belonged and starting anew, but I just couldn't. Allegiant was unexpected. I know some people who loved the last book and others who hated it. Like I said I give it a 3 but the good news is you get to hear from Tris and Tobias which helped in my case!

did you read "Four" the book she wrote after the orginal 3 books to be based on Tobias view? it is a very good read, and from his perspective!
brooklynegan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklynegan.html

Post by brooklynegan »

I found that this was the hardest book in the Divergent trilogy for me to read. I found that it was quite slow paced and wasn't getting to the point. It took me 5 days to finish Insurgent when it only took me 3 days to finish Divergent. I also found Allegiant to be very slow paced and hard to read as well. I do think though that was because I was not used to reading from Four's prospective and it got me confused at times. Overall I rated this trilogy a 3/5 stars even though I loved the first book the last two where a bit to slow for me.
Skylar41
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skylar41.html

Post by Skylar41 »

I love the Divergent series so much! Insurgent was an awesome story! This series is a must read! :)
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by fifthmayfly »

I didn't like how Tris was so vulnerable compared to Divergent. It was as if she was completely dependent on Tobias for a while, which is such a contrast from how she was so powerful in the first book. I like the plot, but it got slow at some points. I love how all the characters have so much depth to them though. One of my favorites.
aschuck_13

Post by aschuck_13 »

Can't wait for the movie.
RidiculousMuffin
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ridiculousmuffin.html

Post by RidiculousMuffin »

There is a lot of great from Veronica Roth. A great heroine in a great dystopian society in a great book in a great series by a great author! Sounds silly, but it's very true! I absolutely cannot wait until the movie comes out on the 20th! Surprisingly, I thought they did a great job on the first movie! There were no major things changed and very few small things as well. Plus the scenes were all very well planned out and they looked just how I had visualized it all in my head! Here's to hoping they do just as well on the next one!
tsharifi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsharifi.html

Post by tsharifi »

Words cannot describe how much I love Insurgent. Yes, it is an easy read and does have flaws here and there, but the overall plot was insanely exciting. To me the title "Insurgent" is synonymous with "emotional roller coaster ride". This entire series was a major favorite of mine, mostly because they made me feel things that I hadn't felt in so long. When you can connect with a book on an emotional level, in my opinion, that is what makes it truly great. For those that are hesitant about reading the books, give this series a shot!
fictionalthrone
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionalthrone.html

Post by fictionalthrone »

I love this series, and as lame as I sound i must say I enjoyed insurgent much less than divergent, there was just such an action and so much development to the first book but when I read the second book it just kind of disappointed me.
Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Post by Jamie fred84 »

I love this series. I started reading after I watched the first movie, I know that's totally the wrong way to do it, but I like the movie so much I wanted to go ahead and figure out the rest of the story. With the second book I was slightly turned off by how different some of the parts of the movie were, I kept looking over to my husband and saying that's not how it was in the book, but I did like the movie better than the book. Triss seemed so much weaker in the book than she did in the movie and for a main role I thought she shouldn't have been that weak.
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt
trisprior
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trisprior.html

Post by trisprior »

At first, I hated it. I thought it was too bitter and slow-paced.
Then, 70 pages in, I realized I loved it.
The plot was incredible. No other word to describe it. Incredible. In this book we start going a little beyond the factions and exploring the factionless, the world beyond the fence. I love how the villains aren't just randomly shot in this series by the hero/heroine. They are given the depth they deserve and are killed in the right way. Veronica Roth has the patience required to write a book that rarely any other YA author has.
Everyone is bothered by the weakness Tris shows in this book, but I actually liked it. Even the strongest people have their weak spots and vulnerabilities. If she kept being too strong she would become unrelatable and emotionless and everything would be unrealistic.
My only problem with this novel is that Tobias and Tris were turned from the mature couple who talked everything out rationally and never kept any secrets, to the couple present in every YA. Reckless, immature, secretive.
The ending was bold, striking. Of course, I did love Divergent more but I loved this nonetheless.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”