Official Review: The Witch of the Spring by Tom Blanton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Official Review: The Witch of the Spring by Tom Blanton

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Witch of the Spring" by Tom Blanton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Witch of the Spring: An Arthur and Marya Mystery, the second in the series by Tom Blanton, teenagers Arthur and Marya are excited for Marya to return to Coronada Springs, Texas to spend Christmas with her grandmother and visit Arthur. However, their fun is interrupted when the 400-year-old book they discovered the previous summer is stolen from Don Pedro, the man they gave the book to. Don Pedro calls on the Texas Rangers, and Arthur and Marya assist Sergeant Victor Morales with the investigation. They soon discover a legend about a spring that was cursed by a witch. They also uncover a possible connection to the Aztecs. Will Arthur, Marya, and Sergeant Morales find the book? What was the thief's real motive? And who is the witch of the spring?

This book combines mystery, magic, and a little bit of history to create a fun and exciting story that quickly jumps into the action and keeps a fast and steady pace throughout. It is listed as a young adult book, but I think readers of all ages will enjoy this story. I certainly did, and I plan to buy the previous book and future installments in the series.

This book can be read without reading the previous one, but there are a lot of references to events in the first book. While I never felt confused, I did sometimes feel like I was missing something because it wasn’t fully explained. Mostly though, I was just intrigued and left wanting to read the first book.

The characters were my favorite thing about this book. All of them were well written and believable, and there was a nice variety of personalities. The dialogue was also realistic. I only wish that I’d been able to get to know Arthur’s other friends better, but hopefully they will be seen more in future books.

One thing that bothered me, and was my least favorite thing about the book, was Marya’s disbelief that the mystery could involve Aztec myth. Given the descriptions of their last adventure, which they both said involved magic, I was surprised that she was so unwilling to believe.

The main problem with this book is the editing. I found a lot of punctuation errors, such as misplaced commas and missing quotations. However, they were not so frequent that they interrupted the flow of the story. Another minor issue was that there were some moments where I wasn’t sure who was speaking.

I am taking away a star for the problems I mentioned, but they were minor, and I really enjoyed the story despite them. The author also included some informational notes about various things in the story at the end of the book and an Aztec pronunciation guide, which I appreciated. With all of that taken into account, I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Witch of the Spring
View: on Bookshelves
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for a detailed review and recommendations. I'd really want to read this intriguing book to find out answers to those questions.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Antique books, cursed springs, witches, myths, AND some Texas Rangers?! What a mysterious tale of magic and discovery in my own home state. Loved your review!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Yeah, I love characters that well developed and relatable. Thank you for your awesome review and recommendation.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a good book for the YA age group. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love supernatural books, and the Aztec connection makes the book even more appealing. Nice review!
nikechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikechi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by nikechi »

I'm not really a fan of fairytale books but the reviewer convinced me that it's a nice book so I might give the book a try.
Thank you for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Let peace reign in the chaos :reading-4:
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Reading books laced with errors could be a draft e on the reading flow. I guess I'd wait for an updated version.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 15:33 Antique books, cursed springs, witches, myths, AND some Texas Rangers?! What a mysterious tale of magic and discovery in my own home state. Loved your review!
I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 11:22 Thanks for a detailed review and recommendations. I'd really want to read this intriguing book to find out answers to those questions.
Saint Bruno wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 20:36 Yeah, I love characters that well developed and relatable. Thank you for your awesome review and recommendation.
Prisallen wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 09:40 This sounds like a good book for the YA age group. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Eutoc wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 13:56 Reading books laced with errors could be a draft e on the reading flow. I guess I'd wait for an updated version.
raluca_mihaila wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 04:01 I love supernatural books, and the Aztec connection makes the book even more appealing. Nice review!
nikechi wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 13:24 I'm not really a fan of fairytale books but the reviewer convinced me that it's a nice book so I might give the book a try.
Thank you for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love this sort ot magical fantasy. But it seems that it is quite difficult to read with its flaws in editing. Thanks for the descriptive review
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I love magical fantasy books. Your review intrigued me. Thank you
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great YA book! Aztec mythology would be an interesting topic to explore. Thanks for your great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sushan wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 20:52 I love this sort ot magical fantasy. But it seems that it is quite difficult to read with its flaws in editing. Thanks for the descriptive review
Ellylion wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 12:15 Sounds like a great YA book! Aztec mythology would be an interesting topic to explore. Thanks for your great review!
OBC Reviewer wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 09:22 I love magical fantasy books. Your review intrigued me. Thank you

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”