Official Review: The Last of Ryn Dvarek: A Journey Into D...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Last of Ryn Dvarek: A Journey Into D...

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last of Ryn Dvarek: A Journey Into Dreams" by D.R. O'Shea.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Please note that this is a re-review of this book.

With D.R. O’Shea’s book, you should get ready for an eventful ride. The Last of Ryn Dvarek: A Journey Into Dreams is a sword and sorcery fantasy novel written in the style of the grand medieval epics. The main narrative thread includes many other stories essential to the worldbuilding and atmosphere of the book. This strategy reminded me of The Arabian Nights and Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales.

The protagonist is a 14-year-old boy called Cael, who lives in Kaldia, one of the Five Kingdoms. He wants to follow in his father’s footsteps and become a blacksmith. Despite having a happy life with his family and friends, Cael is troubled by strange dreams and starts sleepwalking. At the same time, he hears disturbing news of children’s disappearances and murders of whole families.

Worried about his son’s safety, Cael’s father takes him to the city of Rensfort, where they can consult a Draisek, a dream reader. Meanwhile, Cael meets Landon, a wanderer who pretends to be heading west. In reality, Landon is a seeker commissioned to reach the gifted and convince them to go to a faraway island. There, they will learn how to control their powers. When he is still wondering what to do, Cael meets Wynn, a girl with similar skills. Not only has she lost her family, but the Sephalim also hunt her down. Both children realize they have no other choice but to trust Landon and join him in the unknown.

Not accidentally, the author has opted for the first-person narrative perspective. Cael is an innocent boy with no experience of the wide world. Since he is the main narrator of the story, we gradually discover the customs and traditions in every new kingdom. His journey throughout different lands gets him in touch with people from all walks of life. The strong moral values inoculated in him by his family serve him well during his quest. No matter if he sleeps under the open sky or in a royal palace, Cael remains the same responsible and kind-hearted boy who respects and befriends people regardless of their social status.

As the main character in the novel, Cael is quite relatable. Children and teenagers are more likely to put themselves in his shoes and get engaged in his adventures, but adults will enjoy the book too. The story of his quest is also a journey of self-discovery and spiritual growth, so fans of coming-of-age novels can confidently add this novel to their reading lists. As the narrator of the events, Cael is a great storyteller who recounts his adventures with honesty and realism. He knows when to step aside and give the floor to other talented storytellers. I loved the story-within-the-story narrative technique. It helped me understand the history of the Five Kingdoms and the reasons behind the characters’ actions.

Another aspect I liked most about the novel was the unique blending of fantastic elements and realistic descriptions. Gifted children like Cael and Wynn possess supernatural skills such as mind-reading and telepathic communication. The academy on the mysterious island is reminiscent of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the Harry Potter series. On their way to the island, Cael and Wynn pass through many trials and tribulations. They learn about the hardships suffered by ordinary people and the laissez-faire lifestyle of the privileged nobility.

I highly recommend the book to all those who dote on fantasy fiction and medieval legends. Nothing was displeasing about it. On the contrary, it has an exciting storyline, complex characters, and witty dialogues. Since I had the opportunity of reviewing a revised edition of the book, I also noticed its excellent editing. As a consequence, I wholeheartedly rate it 4 out of 4 stars. With only minor profanities and no erotic or violent scenes, the novel targets a younger audience too. As far as I can tell, Cael’s adventures are only at the beginning. I sincerely hope to read a sequel as soon as possible.

The Last of Ryn Dvarek: A Journey Into Dreams
View: on Bookshelves
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

Is sleepwalking real, or is it merely an idea contractured. I think I may find answers in this book.
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

I do fantasy books written with first person perspective. As a fan a fantasy and fictional adventure story, I will love to read this book to join Cael in His adventure.
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

I’ve only recently realized my love for fantasy novels and this one sounds great! I love the idea of a story being told through a young, gifted boy! I will definitely be adding this to my read list.
billday10
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: grapes of wrath
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-billday10.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by billday10 »

Your review has convinced me, this is sure to be up high on my 'to read' list! Swords and sorcery with plenty of world building, my favorite! And the cover art is enticing too.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”