Official Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Official Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Like A Mousetrap" by Brandon Ellrich.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Like a Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich is a short but potent work of fiction. In it, he uses his knowledge of human psychology to take his readers deep into the minds of the characters in this book. The foreword dedicates this work to all those who “feel trapped, unloved, rejected, or scorned because of who they are.” This is a powerful statement in today’s world, where judgment is far more common than kindness, sometimes resulting in tragic consequences.

Like a Mousetrap is divided into two separate stories in which we meet two different families. One is a troubled household in which the parents are preparing for an imminent divorce. Interestingly, the other family seems perfectly well-balanced and ordinary. What the two have in common is that both include disturbed teenagers, each wrestling with negative feelings and low self-esteem. The two stories are unrelated, except for a very subtle link in which the two youths share the same class and have observed each other from afar.

Melissa is quiet, diligent, and creative. She has few friends at school and has trouble fitting in. A secret haunts her, one too shameful to divulge to anyone, especially to her conservative parents. She is desperately trying to come to terms with her feelings without success. Tired of the ongoing ridicule by her peers and the strain of living a lie, she resolves to finally put an end to her hopeless misery.

“If I had someone who would love me no matter who I am, it would be easier … I could press on.”

Josh is dark, brooding, and angry. He spends much of his time in his room playing video games, depressed and lonely. He harbors a deep resentment for his parents, which stems from their disconnectedness and lack of parental warmth. When they announce their intention to separate, it is the last straw. Any hope of a stable family unit is lost, and Josh finally reaches his breaking point. He snaps, just like a mousetrap.

“I don’t hate them, but I don’t really like them either. I’m just indifferent toward everyone and everything. It’s all so pointless.”

The one thing that struck me while reading Like a Mousetrap was the fragility of the human psyche. Very often, things are not as they seem, and people we know might have battles entirely unknown to us. One word of kindness and support, offered at the right time, could make a world of difference. Conversely, intolerance or indifference could tip things the other way. The author illustrates this through these two heart-wrenching examples, and the lesson in it for us is to always be sensitive and kind in our dealings with others.

I found the writing to be engaging and easy to read. The story is presented in a refreshingly different manner, in that the various family members take turns in describing the same scene from their own point of view. It is a unique way to deliver a narrative and provides the reader with a full context of the event. The grammar was almost flawless. I saw only two minor errors where words were missing indicating a professional edit. There was no profanity nor were there any overt sexual references at all, leading me to recommend this book to a wide range of readers.

The idea that we can all make a difference by showing empathy and love is powerful and significant in today’s complex society. This book would make recommended reading for teenagers, parents, teachers, student counselors, and psychologists alike, who can all benefit from the vital lessons herein. It is short enough to be read in one sitting, making it widely appealing. A word of caution: violence and self-harm are implied, making this book inappropriate for younger readers.

Both stories end unexpectedly. It was interesting how the author uses the metaphor of a mousetrap to represent a sudden and final outcome. I also enjoyed the way he keeps his readers guessing till the very end. Like a Mousetrap is an inspiring and thought-provoking book, and I cannot identify anything at all that I didn’t like about it. As a result, I would rate it a full 4 out of 4 stars for being so expertly written and presented. I look forward to reading other books from the same author.

Like A Mousetrap
View: on Bookshelves
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I like this message: "Very often, things are not as they seem, and people we know might have battles entirely unknown to us. One word of kindness and support, offered at the right time, could make a world of difference." It is so true! Thank your for your recommendation and your great review!
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

A story mainly about two teenagers wrestling depression, sounds like a good read to me. People can either worsen this depression, or help relieve it. It’s a shame that they choose the later most times. Thanks for your review.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This book delves into a serious, complex topic. I like the metaphor about the mousetrap being the sudden, final outcome. Great review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”