Official Review: The Prince Who Wanted To Live Forever

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Prince Who Wanted To Live Forever

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Prince Who Wanted To Live Forever" by Phillip Leighton-Daly.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prince of Gomorrah, a selfish and spoiled young man, is determined to live forever. With his armies at his back, he goes to visit Wisdom to convince him to share the secret of everlasting life. He tries bribery and then threats, but all Wisdom will tell him is, “Immortality results from a life lived for others.” This advice does not sit well with the prince, who is convinced there must be a secret Wisdom is withholding. Driven off by Wisdom’s impenetrable line of soldiers, the prince leaves to seek the answers elsewhere. He discovers a mysterious hooded figure in the desert, who offers him what he seeks at a very high price. How far is the prince willing to go to achieve everlasting life?

The Prince Who Wanted to Live Forever by Phillip Leighton-Daly is a story with religious undertones that is geared toward older children and teens. The book serves as an allegory of God versus the Devil and virtue versus sin. The moral here is clear: leading a selfless life will earn you immortality, while indulging in depravity and materialistic pleasures will bring you pain and suffering in the end.

The book is 30 pages long, and it is written almost like a graphic novel. I loved the illustrations, which are beautiful and detailed. The book takes place in the 1600s in the Middle East. The illustrations combine historical depictions of lavish parties and decorated armies with the fearsome warriors and ghastly villains found in typical comic books. There are a couple of paragraphs of text accompanying a full-size picture on each page. The language is clear and should be easy for older kids and teens to understand. Due to the book’s brevity, the tale is told quickly and concisely.

This book is very moral-forward, with plot and character development taking a backseat to the message. I thought the story could have been improved with a bit more focus on the characters, especially the Prince of Gomorrah. He wasn’t given a backstory or any other insight into why he was so superficial or focused on living forever. I think adding that information would have made the story seem more like literature and less like a standard Bible story.

I enjoyed this book overall. The illustrations were remarkable, and the story will be enjoyable for graphic novel fans, particularly if they are religious. I could see this being used in a youth Bible study group. I noticed a few areas where quotation marks were missing, but the book was otherwise edited well. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I think if the character development was beefed up a bit, this story could be even better. Although there is no profanity or explicit content, drunkenness and debauchery are referred to generally, so keep the maturity level of the reader in mind when deciding whether to read this book.

The Prince Who Wanted To Live Forever
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tulika Padmane
Currently Reading: Emergence
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Tulika Padmane »

It has been a long time since i have read a book having a moral point of view. It would be fun to go through the child like experience again.The review seems very elaborate & it interests me. The cover of the book is also very engaging. Great review.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is interesting and intriguing. I am eager to read the book.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

A short read indeed. Thank you for your review. I'd love to peruse this book.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

A great idea for young children's book. Thank you for an insightful review.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

Thank you for this informative review!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

It's only 30 pages long!! Great, this will be new try for me as I never came across about immortality concept in any book I have finished till now. As it is short, it will be cherry on cake for me. Thank you for your amazing review.
Joseph Solomon 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Joseph Solomon 1 »

It is an impressive review whose illustrations combine historical representations of lavish parties and armies decorated with fearsome warriors and hideous comic villains. Thanks for your astonishing review.
Mary Akay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mary Akay »

The reviewer actually read the book carefully because in his report, he pointed all the neccessary things as speciified by the guidlines of reviewing any book. The reviewing was concised and cleared.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

The review was really good, especially for a book this short. Thanks for this great review!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

It is not a very long book to finish. And your review just made me to read it as soon as possible
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

I should give this a try as it is a short read and not that time-consuming. Thanks for this great review!
Hing+ Heli
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hing+ Heli »

Thank you for the insightful review. I'd love to pursue the same.
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

I found myself smiling while reading this wonderful review. It reminds years ago , engaging in stories that conveyed a moral lesson in the end. Teens will be curious to find out why the prince wanted so much to live forever. Thanks for the engaging review

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”