Official Review: Diving for El Corazon by Charlie Damitz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: Diving for El Corazon by Charlie Damitz

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Diving for El Corazon" by Charlie Damitz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diving for El Corazon, by Charlie Damitz, is a fable-like story about a young boy named Paco growing up in poverty in a small fishing village in Mexico. Paco’s faith in the existence of a magical ring known as El Corazon alters the course of his life and his perspective of the world around him. Cliff diving becomes his passion in his search for El Corazon and the fame and fortune it could provide. But success is not always what it seems.

As he grows and matures, Paco must learn to solve a problem that affects both his humble village and the ocean friends he has come to love and respect. Will Paco let his youthful anger get the best of him, or will he decide to embrace responsibility and find a resolution?

This short story was a beautiful tale of adventure with simple but profound lessons. I loved how the author used the reflective thoughts of a likable young boy to introduce a mix of magic and reality as we follow Paco on his journey of growth and discovery. It was a pleasure to watch Paco learn how to reconsider his actions as he matured in his thinking and behaviors throughout the story. He did not always do the right thing on the first try, but he observed the nature of the ocean world and learned to solve problems and control his emotions.

I also loved learning about the different ocean life throughout the story. Dolphins and other sea creatures played a significant role in Paco’s everyday life, and I enjoyed observing the patterns and behaviors of these spectacular creatures in a whole new way. The ocean setting also added to the magic and mystery surrounding the legendary ring and held my interest throughout this robust and engaging tale.

I further loved the closing scenes that brought the story full circle. Initially, I had a few concerns that Paco’s solution to the problem may cause a different challenge in the future. Still, within the context of the story, I was satisfied with his practical solution. The only thing I didn’t like about this story was how the fishing captain—whom Paco worked for—decided to handle the problem, but this was a minor part of the story that didn’t seem to have lasting effects for Paco’s story.

There were a few minor grammatical errors, but the book was overall well-edited. The well-written and engaging tale fits a 4 out of 4 rating. With clean content, no swearing, and relevant lessons and themes, Diving for El Corazon is appropriate for readers of all ages. I believe that those who enjoy ocean adventures with a bit of magic will love this story, and parents may even want to read it out loud with their young children. And if you love dolphin stories, you will not want to miss this delightful tale!

Diving for El Corazon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

This book seems a good tale for children. I rarely read ocean adventure books, but this one catches my attention. Thanks for this insightful review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

Sounds like a simple and easy read both for kids and adults. I enjoy reading about magic and the fact that the book involves some profound lessons too, is just great. Thank you for the insightful review!
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

You left us eager to find the depth of Paco's responsibility. Now that means I will have to read the book to find out.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Little Paco, profound lessons, fabled rings, oceanic themes, AND dolphins?! This one sounds like a genuine gem. Thank you for your insightful analysis and recommendations!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The title of the book felt strange to me at first. Don't know how children would be able to relate to it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Sunchris01
Favorite Book: So This Is Love
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Sunchris01 »

I love how the author posses the question. I will have to read the book to know how paco takes the responsibility
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

What a stunning setting for a children's story! I'm sure young and old would enjoy this, and it makes it extra special that the reader can watch the main character develop over the course of the book. Thanks for a well-written review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

As a Mexican, I am quite intrigued by the descriptions this book might provide. Looks like a lovely read. Great review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I admire your choice of words, especially in your analysis of the setting.
Great review!
Mathew dibz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mathew dibz »

I loved the story its a good tale.Honestly this is the first book I've read that talks about a young boy from mexico.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

This short story was a beautiful tale of adventure with simple but profound lessons.
My kind of book. Thanks for a good review.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

This sounds like a magical story. Can't wait to read it. Thank you for the incredible review!
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

When I first saw this book's cover, I didn't think much of it, but now that I've read this review, I'm intrigued.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”