Official Review: The Promise: Discovering Their Gifts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Official Review: The Promise: Discovering Their Gifts

Post by Mindi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Promise: Discovering Their Gifts" by Hank Ellis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two years ago, I read and reviewed a copy of Hank Ellis' new book, The Promise. When I saw that he had a sequel, The Promise: Discovering Their Gifts, I was excited to have the opportunity to review it. I remembered the first book being intriguing, and I am happy that the story continued.

In the previous story, Peter and David Wilson, two young brothers, discover a mysterious and magical cave when exploring near their home. They meet interesting people and make amazing discoveries. At the end of the book, the reader finds out more about the meaning of these findings. In the second book, more adventures and new characters await Peter and David, as they begin to discover exciting supernatural abilities that they possess. Throughout the book, they are taken on even more adventures than they had in the first story.

As I said when I reviewed the first book, this story has very strong Narnia vibes. It definitely has its own uniqueness, but it has many of the same aspects of the supernatural mixed with reality and life lessons, along with symbolism. I would not call this a religious story, but like Narnia, it has some Christian symbolism, such as referring to a Maker, and lessons learned that have deep value.

I really like the characters of Peter and David. I feel like their characters have strongly developed throughout the two books. There is definitely a coming-of-age theme woven throughout the story, and I think the author has done a great job of developing their characters and personalities. Peter and David seem very genuine and relatable. I love the balance that is created between their normal life at home and the supernatural experiences that they encounter. Just as in the first book, I loved that they portrayed kids who were adventurous and not just engrossed in electronics, as many are in today's world.

Another aspect of the book that I enjoyed was the different cultures that it involved. Many of the boys' adventures involved being in various countries. There was a particular emphasis on Brazil in this book. There were several new characters that were connected to South America, and I enjoyed the many references to their culture, as well as other places that were visited throughout the two books.

As I got near the end, I could not stop reading. I was engrossed in the story to the very end. The character development was very heartwarming, and I definitely feel like there is reason for another installment in this series. I don't know if it is the author's intention, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the series continue, and I am hopeful that it does.

This is an amazing series that deserves recognition. It is probably geared toward the pre-teen age group, but I believe anyone who is a kid at heart will enjoy these books, especially those who love stories with magical realism and coming-of-age themes. The books definitely need to be read in order. I would not read the second book until reading the first. In my last review, I made a comment that there were a few parts that dragged in the first story, but the plot definitely picks up in the second book. The first story has a lot of background information and discoveries being made, though, so it is very important in order to understand the development of the characters.

I highly recommend this book and series. I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars. I can't find anything negative to say about it. If you love adventure and supernatural, check out this series!

The Promise: Discovering Their Gifts
View: on Bookshelves
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

I would love to read this! Love that it has supernatural theme and also the sprinkle of cultures! Thanks for your thorough review and the recommendation to read the first book prior to this.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

I don't really think I'm the right audience for this genre, so I'll rather pass.
Thank you for a nice review
Michael40
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael40.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Michael40 »

I love the fact that the story makes great play of the positive side of adventure. It is a sure way to discover while growing up. A prerequisite for discovering life changing things I must say. Thanks for the amazing review.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

This sounds awesome! I love Narnia and love that this book has echoes of that series! It sounds like the characters are very relatable! I love (and need) that in a book! :D :D :techie-studyingbrown:
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
Cassie Lyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassie-lyn.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur

Post by Cassie Lyn »

This sounds like an awesome book, if it is really like Narnia then I definitely have to read it! Great review.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

This is not my preferred genre, but I am glad you enjoyed reading it. It sounds like a cute story.
Gianina Buda
Currently Reading: Think and Grow Rich: Original Version: The Classic 1937 Edition
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gianina-buda.html
Latest Review: Pivotal Moments by Susanne Birgersdotter

Post by Gianina Buda »

What a delightful review! Your description
In the second book, more adventures and new characters await Peter and David, as they begin to discover exciting supernatural abilities that they possess.
reminded me of middle school, when I used to read Harry Potter until late at night wondering what it might be like to have special powers. It sounds like a great book to forget about the real world for a while :)
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I love it when a good story has a sequel, and it's supernatural too! Lovely character development makes is even better. I'll give this book a try someday in the future.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

It sounds like a good read. I like the fact that it has Christian elements without being a religious story - as you mention in the third paragraph. I have to admit that I'm not a Narnia fan but this book looks intriguing.
Thank you for the review!
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

You had me when you said it has some elements of Narnia!
But your reading your whole review made me crave and yearn to read the book this very instant!
Thank you for your honest and thorough review! I really appreciate it!
:D :D
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

This sounds interesting book but I dot think I am among target readers owing to my age, therefore I will pass this one. Nonetheless, thanks for the honest review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
nicebond0008
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nicebond0008 »

Detailed review, will take your advice and seek out the first book prior to reading this one. Thanks, I enjoyed reading.
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

This would be great for me. Adventure books are one of my favorite. Thanks for the review.
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

Favorites*

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”