Official Review: The secret of magic by Natasa Louppou

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Official Review: The secret of magic by Natasa Louppou

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The secret of magic" by Natasa Louppou.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secret of Magic by Natasa Louppou is a young adult book about a young girl named Tania. During the night of Tania’s birthday, she notices that the magician who did tricks at her party has forgotten to take his suitcase. Curious, Tania decides to open it. Inside, she finds a talking rabbit and a mysterious black box, which the rabbit describes as the ‘forbidden box’.

Upon opening the box, she finds herself, along with the rabbit and suitcase, transported to a different time period. At first, she finds herself onboard the Titanic on the day it was meant to sink. Confused and in awe, Tania sets out on a mission to warn everyone ahead of time that the ship is going to sink. After this tragic event, Tania opens the black box once again and gets transported to a different time period, and there she starts a new adventure.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Initially, the cover was what made me want to read it. The cover is beautiful, and it has a mysterious and magical element to it. The protagonist in the book, Tania, is a ‘shy girl, with very few friends’, yet when she went on her adventures across the world, she was brave and confident. I enjoyed seeing how her confidence grew throughout the book, it really made you feel more connected to her character. I believe Tania sets out a good example for girls her age, and readers can relate to her.

My favorite character in the book is Mike, Tania’s rabbit companion. I like how Mike is not afraid to speak his mind, and he is always right beside Tania when she needs him. I like how he encourages Tania to get out of her comfort zone and try something new.

This book teaches a lot of valuable lessons throughout. For example, it teaches kids not to take things for granted. In the book, Tania visits a poor family, who hasn't eaten for two days. This makes her realize how lucky she is. Tania then sells her expensive necklace in exchange for food for the poor family. Reading this act of kindness will teach children that they should be grateful for what they have.

On the other hand, there were some things that I felt needed more work on in the book. Firstly, Tania is portrayed as a twelve-year-old, yet her dialogue makes it seem like she is older. This can be a problem because readers her age might find it difficult to relate to her. Secondly, the author’s sentence structure is sometimes off. Some sentences throughout the book don’t make sense, so this needs working on.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because, despite the errors, the book is a great read. I did find some grammatical errors in the book, so I suggest the book undergoes another round of editing. This book is packed with fun and adventure, and I recommend it to children the ages of 7-13 years.

The secret of magic
View: on Bookshelves
ColesACC2277
Favorite Book: The Mindset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colesacc2277.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ColesACC2277 »

I love books like this, they're so iconic but yet so enjoyable at the same time:)
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

In spite of all the issues you've mentioned the book sounds to be a solid read for a younger audience :) A rabbit companion which can talk is a lovely feature. Thank you for a great review!
rebeccawiseman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccawiseman.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by rebeccawiseman »

Thank you for this review! I plan on putting this on my reading list.
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

This seems like a really interesting book.
I like how you've dealt with the character of Tania.
Thank you! :D
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

I got a little confused when the summary says it's about a young adult, then other paragraphs say it's a child. But at least you clarified that at the end of your review. Tania's curiosity is amazing. :tiphat:
Nelson Chocha
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: G.A.S. & Dementia
Currently Reading: ABM is B2B
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-chocha.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Chocha »

Magic is a mind browser. This book is amazing, it teaches kids not to take things for granted. This review is awesome.
andriana garcia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by andriana garcia »

Lovely book, for children and adults,too. Nice work!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This book is ideal for children but I like to read the part about her being transported to the Titanic. Thanks for your review.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Sounds like an awesome fantasy read. I'm sorry about the poor sentence structures though. Thank you for your descriptive review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I like books with lessons for young people! Tania and her rabbit companion, Mike sound like they are quite a pair! I am sure their adventures will keep their targeted audience enthralled! I am curious to know what other adventures the "forbidden box" takes them on besides the Titanic! Thanks for the insightful review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting young-adult fantasy fiction novel on orld history, magic, adventure, friendship, and an amazing protagonist. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @BooksOntime on the BOTD selection.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

Thanks for a great review! Like you, I was excited about this book because the cover is so good. Sadly, I think you're right and that this book is really meant for a younger audience.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Part of the book's description puts me in the mind of one of my favorite tv shows, Quantum Leap, though it doesn't seem like Tania has as much luck "righting things that once went wrong." In any case, it sounds like an interesting read. Thanks.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I find it very paradoxical that the book's theme is "young adult", yet both the protagonist and the events seem to fall into the children's category. Surely there are always valuable lessons even for adults when it comes to children's books and movies, but the theme stated makes it sound like it isn't appropriate for readers that fall outside the stated category.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”