Official Review: The Boiling Toad by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Official Review: The Boiling Toad by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by inaramid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Boiling Toad" by Phillip Leighton-Daly.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Phillip Leighton-Daly conjures a bleak image of a doomed world in his short story, The Boiling Toad. In the planet of Fossil lies the civilization of Soot, and within is a small community called Coke. The names are fitting, for in this world, coal is king. Citizens live and breathe coal. It's the sort of place where schools award "Diplomas in Fossil Fuels." Mining is a revered profession, and workers who contract lung disease are rewarded with medallions — coal-encrusted, of course!

But Soot is on a definite course for destruction, though its citizens are stubbornly ignorant of their impending doom. Only a blind-mute young woman named Lucidia is aware of the danger, gifted as she is with telepathy. Lucidia warns the citizens of Soot using the titular "boiling toad." Yes, she literally boils a toad in water, with the hapless amphibian dying because of its inability to perceive the change in temperature. The significance of Lucidia's demonstration, however, is completely lost on the people. Can Soot be saved at all? With a leader called The Royal Buffoon (or Buff for short) on the helm, it’s difficult to hold on to hope.

The Boiling Toad is steeped in satirical and allegorical elements that will surely resonate with readers, both young and old. The world the characters inhabit is surreal, but it also reflects certain realities about our own planet. We see a society that worships fossil fuel to a comical extent, and we watch how they ultimately paid the price. While offering an allegory for climate change, Leighton-Daly also depicts the impotence and short-sightedness of the powers that be in addressing a potentially catastrophic issue. The toad basking in boiling water is a powerful metaphor on its own, and an accompanying illustration serves to further sear the image into the reader’s memory. There are other beautiful full-page illustrations in the book, fleshing out the images of Lucidia; her twin sister, Adeline; Lucidia’s dog, Addie; and other key characters in the story.

Leighton-Daly gives readers a window into a future that could just as well become real, if we’re not careful. This isn't only a cautionary tale, however, as the narrative also depicts a sweet story of sisterly love. The strength of human bonds is shown in Lucidia’s rapport with the other orphans in the community, and humanity’s relationship with nature is a theme that’s explored to a satisfactory end. Parents and teachers can use the story to discuss the issue of climate change with young readers, a timely lesson for these so-called inheritors of the earth. On the other hand, older readers will find this a darkly amusing and thought-provoking read.

While I like the brevity of the book, I think some scenes can still be expanded. For instance, the sections leading to the conclusion feel somewhat rushed that they have almost no emotional impact. Also, the text definitely needs another round of proofreading. The errors are not overly distracting — the worst being a word usage issue (teamed vs. teemed) and a verb tense error (lay vs. laid) — but there are just too many for a 44-page text. All things considered, The Boiling Toad gets a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

The Boiling Toad
View: on Bookshelves
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

This book sounds like it would have a really strong impact on the reader. I'm in love with the boiling frog metaphor and I haven't even read it yet! Shame on the rushed ending though... that can hurt a powerful book of any kind. Thanks for reviewing!
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

minus the errors and the fact that it was rushed , this is an intriguing book with a comical aspect that I appreciate. It was the wacky title that got my attention. Nice review. :D
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Regret on those errors for a book of just few pages. However, the book seems to be quite an interesting read. Thanks for the review!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

A satirical sci-fi book with beautiful full-page illustrations? It's great! :D

Thank you for detailed review.
Princepetr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princepetr.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Princepetr »

This book has a strong hold on the writer . It’s not my preferred genre , but I have to see it .
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I reviewed this book in its infancy stage, or maybe fetus stage. It was then all of six pages, without a cover, with no illustrations, and just a handful of named characters, most of whom were villains. I'm glad the author introduced a lot of improvements. It's practically a different book. (Its title then was The Boiling Frog, but many readers were not amused with the plight of the sacrificial frogs. Maybe the toad has fewer fans.)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”