City Of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Re: City Of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Post by sevencrows »

I think City of Bones is mediocre by itself, but as you get invested in characters and the overarching plot the series gets much much better!
rather_be_reading
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rather_be_reading »

I love love loved this book! It was a little bit cliche, and all of the tropes have been said and done before, but the world of the Shadowhunters and the flow of the writing was amazing to read! City of Bones was a wonderful introduction to the series, and the series addresses many issues. If you like this book, (and even if you only sort of did) I recommend reading the series. It gets even better! Although some people say to read the Clockwork Angel series, don't, because in the last Clockwork book, there is a little bit of a spoiler. All in all, City of Bones was empowering and romantic, and a great read!
JordanRawrz

Post by JordanRawrz »

simplime wrote: 22 Jul 2013, 13:51 I've read the first book of the series and I really liked it. My only problem was the age of the characters. They were young teenagers but lived the life of adults. ex: going clubbing. That made it a bit unbelievable for me. I do plan to continue reading the rest of the books.
I understand what you are saying about the clubbing, but in some area's they have night clubs for middle school/ high schoolers. There used to be one open where I live called Rascals and it was open from I think it was 7:00 pm to midnight. Also teenagers tend to be mischievous and make fake ID's to get into clubs so I guess that's why I wasn't all too bothered with it.
Becka1233355

Post by Becka1233355 »

This book was vary enjoyed i fell in love the characters and whole world i would recommend but some part were long and drag out ofther then that no complaints
Weird_Illustrator
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-weird-illustrator.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Post by Weird_Illustrator »

I think it was fine.
The main story (girl + handsome boy she first doesn't really like, fantastic world girl gets to know, blossoming feelings for said boy, etc.) isn't that innovative and I kinda had a problem with the characters ages (would have preferred them to be like two years older...). Then I was hoping for some intersting side characters but most of them were just that: side characters with little actual input of their own. For example I really wanted to like Alec but it felt a bit like he didn't really act on his own, he followed Jace and was mean to Clary and that was about it.
Still I could read the book without having any desire to stop halfway through
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Weird_Illustrator wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 15:34 I think it was fine.
The main story (girl + handsome boy she first doesn't really like, fantastic world girl gets to know, blossoming feelings for said boy, etc.) isn't that innovative and I kinda had a problem with the characters ages (would have preferred them to be like two years older...). Then I was hoping for some intersting side characters but most of them were just that: side characters with little actual input of their own. For example I really wanted to like Alec but it felt a bit like he didn't really act on his own, he followed Jace and was mean to Clary and that was about it.
I loved the book, but I still can relate to almost all of the points you've mentioned. I thought the story was quite generic, however I loved the worldbuilding - this to me was fantastic. I also had an issue with the ages, I know it's YA but I felt like they were still a little too young.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I read this book a few years ago but it is still an ecstasy. It took just two weeks to finish the whole series i was so addicted to it.
catss
Currently Reading: Champion
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by catss »

I was looking online for a book to read, and this came up. I already owned the book (it came in a box of books I got from a sale), so I decided to give it a try. I fell in love instantly. Now, I love Cassandra Clare's books.
Carolyn1854
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolyn1854.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Carolyn1854 »

I just started this series. I am 2 chapters in and I am really hooked. I am planning to read all Cassandra Clare's books.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I love the books by Cassandra Clare. The only thing is that all the series are related and you have to read them in order to understand the majority of the plot.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

I liked the book and The Mortal Instruments series, but I personally enjoyed the prequel more. The Infernal Devices has a more likeable protagonist, more interesting and lovable characters and I prefer London in the 1800s as a setting over modern day New York. I do have to admit that if it wasn't for City of Bones catching my attention from the beginning I probably wouldn't have given Clockwork Angel a chance, so there's that.
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
rifieka
Currently Reading: 10 Steps To Earning Awesome Grades
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rifieka.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by rifieka »

Weird_Illustrator wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 15:34 I think it was fine.
If you want liking Alec even more, I suggest you read the rest of the series. I say this with enthusiasm and excitement because i know for sure you're going to be on your tiptoes reading them. You'll be so engrossed in the characters (ofcourse, I mean clary and jace. But you'll also get the stories of the side characters. Alec, isabelle, Magnus, simon, Luke, and others you don't know if you've stopped on City of Bones). Trust me when i say this: these books are worth losing your memory to experience again.
Nhendrickson4

Post by Nhendrickson4 »

I absolutely love this book. I have read it a few times. The characters are easily likable yet I assume everyone picks a favorite. Mine is most definitely Clary. I’ve almost read the entire series. I loved this book so much that I got my younger sister to read it and my mother to read it. My mom loved the book so much that she bought and read all of the series.
Jace is also a great character. He had my attention from the start. It’s a really fun book to picture the creatures and characters looks while reading the book. Especially when it comes to Madame Dorothea. She is a fantastic character!
AshaCorbin1

Post by AshaCorbin1 »

Cassandra Clare has a way of writing that allows you to accurately picture the scene being laid out in front of you. This is something I always look for in books because it is easy to get lost in them and I love going on adventures more than anything. The story of Clary Fray was one that was so interesting to me because she went from seeming like your average teenaged girl to being thrown into a life she never expected to live. All of the characters she met along the way were also so easy to love, as well as others you were instantly distrustful of. There was always something new around the corner making the story exciting to follow and the book hard to put down.
clarygilbert20
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 61

Post by clarygilbert20 »

I loved this book. It was a little bit cliché, all the tropes have been done before. But the humor is great, a bit weird sometimes. The Shadowhunter world and the writing are wonderful. Also, Jace is great, love him.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”