The Giver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: The Giver

Post by godreaujea »

I just read this book this past summer and was blown away by the complexities and symbolism in this text. I was also very impressed that many schools require this reading in middle/high school. I tried starting to read the sequel in the series, "Gathering Blue," but I liked the first one so much, it paled in comparison so I put it down. I figured I can return to it the series at another time. But "The Giver" contributes much commentary on the concept of extreme communism, and emphasizes the value of individuality. This book is a significant and impactful read.
Dragondoor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dragondoor »

I loved this book growing up and it was a sort of gateway into interpreting and understanding other novels such as Brave New World, 1984, or Farenheight 411. I remember reflecting on The protsgonists conflict and choice between his family, his self, his future, and his responsibility. Truly, this novel taught me something about introspection in the reading process.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I was among the few people who never read The Giver growing up. I remember it, that cover and others my age reading it, but I preferred books on mermaids and mythology, and even some Shakespeare at the time. I recently heard they made a movie of the book, and as it is credited as a young adult classic, I decided to read it finally. It is pretty short compared to the books I normally read, but I absolutely loved it. I was surprised to find out Gathering Blue wasn't a sequel in the traditional sense, because I was really invested in Jonas, Gabriel and The Giver. The way the book ends, it is kind of vague as to weather or not they just died and saw the light, or wheather they were received by the people in the village. I really wanted a continuation to clear it up, as well as I wanted to find out what happened back in town with The Giver and the people receiving all the memories. I have not read The Messenger or Son yet, but it is definitely on my list.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
jpatrick88
Currently Reading: The Limits of Partnership
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jpatrick88.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jpatrick88 »

This was one of my all time favorite books growing up. I was stoked when I found out they were making a movie about it but unfortunately the movie didn't live up to my expectations. I still love the book though.
Bookreviewer33

Post by Bookreviewer33 »

Omg the giver is one of my favorite books it is just the best i definitly would reccomend to anyone its full of adventure and how the world would be horrible if everything was the same if everthing was fair :D this book made my pre teen years amazing its good for pre teens, teens, and young adults u should definitly read this book
Annony11

Post by Annony11 »

I read The Giver as an adult and was blown away. Like many others, I didn’t understand how Gathering Blue was a sequel because the worlds seemed so different. With Messenger, some of the pieces started to come together but I loved how Son pulled everything together into one cohesive story. It’s about time for a reread!
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I read this book when I was in fourth grade, and I really hope that I can reread it soon as it impacted me in such a big way!
~Roxie~
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

This novel is great, and it really messed with my head when I was younger. I love the rebellious aspects, and how different and magical it is compared to other books of its time.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

I read this book as a book report in elementary school. It was amazing world building from the author, I even went on to read the 2 succeeding books. I thought that I wouldn't be able to understand the book because it was a little hard to understand and picture at first but as you kept pushing through the book the world became clearer and clearer. Would recommend to everyone who loves different takes on the world.
emmajune_23

Post by emmajune_23 »

I loved their “view” on an utopian world. The end left me sad but it’s up to you to think what happens next!
Imani003

Post by Imani003 »

I personally have enjoyed reading this book. It can seem quite confusing at times ,but as you go further into the reading it’ll make since as to why and how everything is a dystopian society. The many restrictions they have unlike in the normal life we are used to.
Nightreaderx
Currently Reading: Unhinged
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nightreaderx »

I remember reading this book for the first time back in junior high school. I found this novel so fascinating with how everything is the same. Jonas's character is the sort of kid you would want to be around. I love the idea of how slowly there is color coming into his black and white world.
abbyruth9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyruth9.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by abbyruth9 »

The Giver was the first dystopian novel I ever read. Not only is it a fantastic novel in general, but it is an excellent book to use in a classroom for students to begin developing their critical thinking skills. There are comments on governments, society, control, history, and many more interesting subjects for students to discuss. Its an excellent book!
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

Georgia wrote: 19 Aug 2013, 11:43 I read this book recently for the first time, and was completely blown away. It sucked me in and until I felt like I was watching the events instead of reading them. The ending was a little weird - I'm still not sure if it was metaphorical or not. I had no idea that it was part of a trilogy, so I'm going to read the rest!
This book has been on my list for years now and I've never felt motivated to read it. However, I think I'll have to read it now to see what's all the fuzz about.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I love this book. It’s gets you thinking in a different way which I think is great for younger kids. We need to be taken out of our daily “sameness” to expand our mind!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”