Official Review: In GOD's Image by Shirley P. Soon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Official Review: In GOD's Image by Shirley P. Soon

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In GOD's Image" by Shirley P. Soon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Understanding the Gospel of the Holy Bible can be difficult for some readers. There are so many concepts that it can be overwhelming to grasp them all. Luckily, In GOD’s Image by Shirley P. Soon makes this process easier.

When I picked up this title, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Books in this genre can be pushy when it comes to religious views, but I did not get that feeling while reading this one. This book contains thirty-nine chapters, including the conclusion. The chapters aren’t very long; some of them are only four pages in length. Each concept that the author wanted readers to understand has a dedicated chapter; occasionally, a chapter will use the same concept that was already introduced earlier in the book to explain another concept.

I liked that the author referenced her writings to the Bible, and strongly recommended that readers use their own Bible to follow along and read the verses for themselves. Or, if they do not own a Bible, she directs them to Biblegateway.com, a free website that offers many versions of the Bible digitally. I know many of the verses that the author used, but this resource is excellent for those that have never read the Bible or do not own one.

The reference section at the end was full of information as well. All the works that the author cited are written by scholars and authors who know the Bible. I also learned that the author used taught a Sunday School and was a church librarian, which I felt helped give her work credibility.

Even though I know about the Gospel, I felt that I gained more knowledge and understanding about it from reading this book. Shirley P. Soon says that it is intended for teenage readers and new believers, and I believe that this is an accurate statement. However, I do believe that even those who are interested in the Gospel or want to discover a new religion would be able to understand the concepts that the author presents. Honestly, I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about Jesus Christ and the Gospel. If a reader is opposed to religion and religious beliefs, they may want to skip this one.

There was nothing that I disliked about this book. There were many grammatical errors present that would not have been overlooked if it was professionally edited. I think that another round of editing would make it even better. In its current state, I rate In GOD’s Image 3 out of 4 stars. I wanted to rate it four stars, but the many grammatical mistakes kept me from doing so. I found that I enjoyed this book more when I was in a quiet room and could focus on what was being read, and I recommend that readers do the same thing.

In GOD's Image
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Too bad on the errors, because this book sounds really insightful. There are some hard concepts to understand for those who are new to the religion, and it is nice to have this kind of book for people to go to. Thanks for your wonderful review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Thanks for the recommendation. Great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

sounds like a short read I might try.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Kaitlyn Canedy

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

melissy370 wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 12:07 Too bad on the errors, because this book sounds really insightful. There are some hard concepts to understand for those who are new to the religion, and it is nice to have this kind of book for people to go to. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Thank you! I think it is great to use in Christian churches to help new believers and those that are still confused about the Gospel. I have been a believer for years, and I felt that I gained something out of this book. I hope you give it a try! :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Kaitlyn Canedy

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

MsH2k wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 20:02 Thanks for the recommendation. Great review!
Thank you for your reply! I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did. :tiphat:
Kaitlyn Canedy

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

FEislandqueen13 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 12:49 sounds like a short read I might try.
Hi there! Compared to other books in this genre that I have read, it is a short read. I think that if someone was to read this book early in the day, they could finish it by the evening. It is totally worth the read! I wanted to rate it 4 out of 4 stars I really did. But the grammatical errors wouldn't let me do so. With the way that it is written and with how easy it is to understand, it is easily a 4 out of 4 star book. I hope the author takes this into consideration and does another round of editing so it can receive a higher rating. :)
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Overlooking the errors, this sounds like a book I would be interested in. Anything that makes the understanding of the Bible is beneficial. Good review and great explanation of the books format.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”