Official Review: Dylan Murphy and the Magic Touch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: Dylan Murphy and the Magic Touch

Post by Julie Petitbon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dylan Murphy and the Magic Touch" by Brian Glenn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dylan Murphy and the Magic Touch is the first book in Brian Glenn’s magical Eldora Chronicles Series. A quick and exciting read, the story begins with an epic battle between two master wizards. Alazar, considered one of the greatest wizards in a hundred years, battles Zondor, a younger, evil wizard intent on destroying Alazar and stealing his “uniquely powerful and virtually undefeatable wand.” Zondor, intent on ruling the entire planet of Endora, already controls Zombia and its surrounding cities. In this book, he has his sights set on conquering the larger kingdom of Colabra, and he needs the power of the wand to do it. Unfortunately for him, the wand has other plans.

Dylan Murphy is at the ice rink with his friends when a blast knocks him unconscious. A typical teenager interested in video games, snowboarding, and hanging out with his best friend since childhood, Dylan doesn’t expect this random incident to propel him into a magical battle of good versus evil. But when Alazar’s wand chooses him, Dylan must do all in his power to keep it away from the sadistic Zondor. With the help of his father, his best friend, and a curious police officer, can Dylan succeed in freeing Colabra from the threat of Zondor?

My favorite part of this book is the magical world that the author created. The author’s use of imagery is well executed and helps to create a unique and fascinating setting. When the group of magicians and humans runs away from the menacing trolls and toward safety, I felt like I was on the reverberating bridge with them. When they travel through Zondor’s dungeons, I could easily visualize the dank and ominous prison. Magical riddles, unique supernatural creatures, wands with personalities, and mystical essences add a rich and unique dynamic to the story.

Furthermore, the author uses modern technology to help solve problems in the magical world. There are several references to the internet, as well as the use of cell phones and radio waves to solve problems that magic can’t. I like this melding of the two worlds. Often in fantasy stories, the magical world is more powerful and resourceful than the human world. Here, both the mortal and the wizarding world work together and demonstrate strengths and usefulness.

I rate Dylan Murphy and the Magic Touch 4 out of 4 stars. The plot is captivating, the characters are dynamic, and the world that the author created is amazing. Furthermore, it is professionally edited with few errors. Though the inclusion of some violence and sexual humiliation makes it inappropriate for pre-teens and younger, I think young adult and adult readers who enjoy fantastical stories of wizardry and wonder will love it!

Dylan Murphy and the Magic Touch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I love the integration of the human world with the fantastical one. I always like it when elements of science are included in fantasy novels. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Great review!
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

:shock: Now this is my cup of tea!
Usually, most fantasy books about wizards and magic are set in the past whereas Dylan Murphy and the Magic Touch has its plot in the modern era - blending supernatural powers with technology for an awesome read!
:techie-studyingbrown: I'm itching to try out this book.
btw that title made me laugh! :D
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The opening scene of the fight between the wizards would grip the attention of readers! I enjoyed your fluid descriptions of the characters and the story line. Thanks for the captivating review.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

This sounds like a fun book! I like the idea of the modern tech and magical elements. The book I just read used a combination of science and magic too. It featured a female MC and a different plot but I enjoy fantasy stories like this. Thanks for the great review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I enjoy it when fantasy books can mesh together technology and magic. I can't imagine what Dylan's initial reaction was when he recieved the wand. This sounds like a great read! Thanks for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oh. Melding two worlds can always be fun and I like that the author takes the time to explore both, including the snowboarding. This sounds great.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Crumpets1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Crumpets1 »

Wizards and magic peaks interest in us as readers because deep down I think we’d all love to have magic powers.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”