Official Review: Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant...

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride" by Jean M. Flahive.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Millie was seven years old when the Narcissus made its way to her hometown, Gray. With the words of a fortuneteller ringing in her mind, she ran as fast as she could towards the electric trolley (Narcissus). There in the trolley, looking at her and gladly accepting her bouquet of handpicked sweet peas, was Theodore Roosevelt, whom she fondly called Mr. Teddy.

Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride by Jean M. Flahive is a historical fiction book for young readers. It follows the life of a young girl, Millie, who was raised in a rural farm in Maine and witnessed the arrival of the electric trolleys in her hometown. Her fascination with Mr. Teddy drove her to do things that ordinary farm girls would not do. Her story is spread within the twenty-seven chapters of the novel.

I loved reading this book. Flahive picked a significant historical event and turned it into a beautiful story that any young reader would appreciate. I loved the boldness of ‘spitfire’ Millie and how her parents, Henry and Lillian, supported her to do the things that she loved. For instance, they allowed her to join Camp Fire Girls, which allowed young girls to support the American army during WWI.

The themes that the author brought out in this novel were unique to the given period: 1911-1920. Flahive managed to paint a clear picture of the effect of the war on families, the Spanish flu epidemic, the means of transport and communication during that time, the impact of Theodore Roosevelt to the lives of young people, and women suffrage. Undoubtedly, young readers will learn a lot about the kind of life that people lived during that time. If I hadn’t read this book, I would have never known that Roosevelt’s mentor was such a simple man with a big heart.

I loved the writing style employed by Flahive in this novel. The interchange of scenes between the life of young Millie growing up in the Thayer farm and the 96-year-old Millie relating her life experiences to Phil when they visited the Seashore Trolley Museum in Maine was such a brilliant feature of the narrative in the novel. The age difference (of the same character) in the two scenarios helped to bring out the rich history of the period covered in the novel (1911-1920).

The book seemed to be professionally edited. I gave it a perfect score: 4 out of 4 stars. This is such a fascinating read. Thus, I could not give it a lower rating. I recommend it to all readers, especially young adults, who enjoy novels in the historical fiction genre.

Teddy Roosevelt, Millie, and the Elegant Ride
View: on Bookshelves
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

The book seems very creative and unique. I think it can appeal to many readers. Thank you for your excellent review.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

I am always on the look out for quality children's books. I would really like to read this one now. I love the idea of hearing from the protagonist both as a young girl and an old lady. Very clever. Was it illustrated? It doesn't have to be. Just curious. :) Thanks for a good review! I'd like to read it.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

There are children's books that I love to read. But I have to admit that nowadays, being busy on my priorities I had to skip those things. But, I think with this reviews I might consider doing it again. Hope I can find time to read this book. Thanks.
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

Many young people shun history. I love the creativity of this story. It makes historical fiction readable. Thanks for a great review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This sounds very cute and light. The context of it, happening during and after WWI had the potential for great tragedy, but it sounds like the author chose a calmer, happier take. Thanks for the review of it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”