Official Review: The Raven and the Keepers of Time

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: The Raven and the Keepers of Time

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Raven and the Keepers of Time" by Shane Vlcek.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Raven and the Keepers of Time by Shane Vlcek takes place on the Beau River near a mountain range, where high schooler Marcus and his family live. Nearly everyone in his family has some connection with the mystical spirit of the raven, which allows them to wield magical powers, from blasts of energy to shapeshifting. Marcus himself takes after his father, a Keeper of Time, and he has a special connection with the rocks surrounding his home. The book juxtaposes these fantasy elements with a grounded, real-world setting.

This setting is, by far, the book's greatest strength. It's extremely vivid, with its own distinct environments, from the Beau River to Raven's Peak, although the book can be a little bit heavy-handed with its symbolism when it comes to Maple Grove, which is full of trees that turn blood-red in the fall. As far as I can tell, these places were fictional, but they were presented so realistically that I actually had a hard time convincing myself of this fact. There are some grammatical errors, mostly pertaining to apostrophe usage, but I don't feel like they impact the book's immersion.

I wasn't particularly happy with the character development, though. There are no fewer than five romantic pairings, and literally every main character has a heterosexual partner. Romantic tension is, by far, the most predominant form of character interaction, and it becomes repetitive very quickly. By the time Eve, the last romantic interest, was introduced, I found myself internally groaning. Marcus's fears about his girlfriend going off to college make for an interesting coming-of-age side plot, but since they both realize from the start that their destinies are linked, even this isn't nearly as compelling as it could be.

This book's conflicts are also rather lackluster. The Oldbloods are the sworn enemies of Marcus's family, with the exception of Shar, Phillip's girlfriend. They're evil in an almost comical sense, with motives that are somewhat unclear beyond a mindless lust for power, and they show up to cause trouble seemingly at random. Not only that, but Marcus's family has so much power that the Oldbloods rarely seem like a threat. Since there isn't any conflict within the group, either, the book doesn't have much tension to speak of.

Ultimately, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Its vivid environments will hold the interest of those who, like the author, are captivated by the mountains, and I can see younger readers finding it entertaining, though there is some minor cursing. Unfortunately, I just don't think it's a very well-executed story, so more seasoned readers are better off looking elsewhere.

The Raven and the Keepers of Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I really like this fantastic magical concept of the unusual connection of the Marcus family to the ravens.
I'm sorry the other elements were weaker, as character development, but I'm still interested.
Thank you for an excellent review!
acopj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by acopj »

Honestly, not recently reading books with this genre, that is why I would love to try this one. Congrats for the good work.
hisamluv
Currently Reading: Sonar The Surge
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hisamluv.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by hisamluv »

This sounds amazing! Normally, I like fantasy and this book satisfied my thirst for it. Excellent work from the author, keep the ball rolling.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

The story has a lot of great elements and the title and cover of the book are absolutely enticing. Thanks for a complete review it is filled with all the right information.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

It has an interesting premise. I'm sorry about the character development not being solid and the errors. I hope the author takes your corrections to heart and work more on the book. Thanks for the insightful review
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

Thank you for your thoughtful review! It seems like the author missed out on a few opportunities to create tension. This would have made the book more interesting and would have warranted a higher rating. The idea behind the story might have been great, but unfortunately it fell short. One thing that this book has going for it is the imagery that it creates in the setting of the novel.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”