Official Review: Cooper Peru by Mister E.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Cooper Peru by Mister E.

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cooper Peru" by Mister E..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cooper Peru by Mr. E. is a young adult fantasy about a boy who stumbles into the life of a grieving woman. This woman, Pearl, eagerly takes Cooper in and makes him her son without asking any questions. Her love for him causes her to overlook his mysterious arrival and his pointed ears; however, the students at Thacker Middle School are not as forgiving.

When mysterious creatures invade the school, leaving destruction and enormous claw marks, Cooper doesn't believe the work was performed by raccoons, as the school insists. He knows that something immense and mean is out there, and he thinks they are looking for him. He's right. Unexpectedly, he is offered a scholarship to ShadowBranch Academy, a boarding school well away from the bullies of Thacker. He eagerly accepts the offer, hoping his leaving will protect Pearl from the sharp-clawed creatures out to get him. It's not as easy as it sounds. Cooper embarks on a quest to learn more about his elven birth family and a completely different culture. He also discovers who he is as a person. Will his integrity hold? Will he master the lessons that he encounters? Will he escape the frightening beasts?

The author's writing is quite playful. There are many witty lines, puns, and allusions that made me laugh. This one, however, is my favorite: "Throngs of Thacker students were in the bleachers to see Randy compete, but mostly there to get extra credit." As a former educator, I know that extra credit is quite an enticement! Also, many of the characters have homophonic names that made me giggle. One of Cooper's friends at ShadowBranch is named Nurvis. I'll bet you can guess his personality! My favorite, though, is the name of Thacker's principal: Anita Drenk! I would say that is appropriate, especially for a middle school principal.

Additionally, there are allusions in the prose to rock bands and songs; for instance, at one point characters are discussing ravens and use the terms "black crows" and "counting crows" in consecutive sentences. And the shadowy figures stealing items from the temples made of stone? They are Stone Temple Pirates. Looking for these humorous allusions made reading the book like a bit of a treasure hunt!

I enjoyed reading about the elven ways. Instead of overwhelming readers with information, the author included details about elixirs and established traditions in the plot so that they were easy to understand. I also enjoyed getting to know many of the characters. Cooper is a loved character from the beginning since he is practically a foundling. It is easy to like him because he thinks carefully through his decisions and is loyal to his friends. The author creates Cooper's friends and teachers so that they have their own qualities. While all aren't completely developed, they are rounded enough that readers can recognize and separate them.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The plot is solid, and the principal characters are thoughtfully drawn. The author clearly put considerable time into adding detail to the story not only for plot improvement but also for the reader's enjoyment on another level. However, I have to take one star for editing issues. Most of the problems concerned commas and sentence structure, but there were many, and I suggest another round or two of editing. While the book resolved itself nicely, there were a few threads that were left dangling. It didn't affect the conclusion of this book, but it keeps the option open for a sequel. If there is one, I will gladly read it.

Young adults will find this book especially attractive since the main characters are teens and tweens, but adult readers will enjoy watching Cooper grow during this exciting plot. His connections with others, especially Pearl, are heart-warming. Prospective readers should know that there are no sexual situations in this book, and I found only two instances of mild profanity.

Cooper Peru
View: on Bookshelves
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a really fun book. I love the name of the principal, and I would enjoy the treasure hunt of looking for band names.
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

esp1975 wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 10:11 This sounds like a really fun book. I love the name of the principal, and I would enjoy the treasure hunt of looking for band names.
Yes, you would enjoy it! It's a fun read. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk

Post by Manang Muyang »

I love fun and puns. I hope Cooper and I will meet soon.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like how Pearl has such a big heart as to take Cooper into her house without question, and how Cooper in turn, trys to protect Pearl from the creature with the claw marks. Looks like an intriguing book to read. Thanks for the insightful review.
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Miriam Molina wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 19:35 I love fun and puns. I hope Cooper and I will meet soon.
I've noticed that many of your posts include a little wordplay, too!

Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Wyland wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 00:23 I like how Pearl has such a big heart as to take Cooper into her house without question, and how Cooper in turn, trys to protect Pearl from the creature with the claw marks. Looks like an intriguing book to read. Thanks for the insightful review.
Yes, their relationship was very sweet and loving. Thanks for taking time to comment!
sarahmarlowe
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like an interesting story, and I enjoyed your review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This does sound like an enjoyable read with all the humor and insinuating puns. I also appreciate your explanation about how the author relates information about the elvens without overwhelming readers. Thanks for the recommendation.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

The rock band references are amusing. This should be a really fun read, especially for teens, but also adults who enjoy light-hearted fantasy stories. Thanks for the review!
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I'm not in the target audience for this book, but I love the fun the author seems to be having with the names and the rock band allusions. Great review!
TheAshedPhoenix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theashedphoenix.html
Latest Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton

Post by TheAshedPhoenix »

Not gonna lie. The cover picture just compelled me to read the review and I am so glad I did. I loved the description of the plot. It seems like a fun ride I'd love to hop on. Fantasy has always pulled me in and the way you described the content of the book made me reserve this one for a breezy autumn evening read. Thank you the detailed review. :)
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Cecilia_L wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 11:02 This sounds like an interesting story, and I enjoyed your review.
Thank you, Cecilia! It is a good story.
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

kdstrack wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 11:27 This does sound like an enjoyable read with all the humor and insinuating puns. I also appreciate your explanation about how the author relates information about the elvens without overwhelming readers. Thanks for the recommendation.
It is an enjoyable, unique read. Thanks for taking the time to comment!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Tomah wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 13:41 The rock band references are amusing. This should be a really fun read, especially for teens, but also adults who enjoy light-hearted fantasy stories. Thanks for the review!
Yes, I love a light read every now and again. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”