The Dating Process: Casey (Book 1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

The Dating Process: Casey (Book 1)

Post by Jax14 »

The Dating Process: Casey (Book 1) is the first in a series about a group of teenage girls and explores the trials and tribulations they go through in navigating love, school and friendship. Each book is told from a different character’s perspective and the series is suitable for young adults and up.

Casey has a new nickname and it’s not flattering. Casey Commando. And no, it has nothing to do with the military. Oh boy. Casey and her two besties Amber and Kiera are trying to get through their school career without any more chaos. Except boys keep cropping up. There is an online wacko that they are trying to keep Kiera away from, and Amber’s Gavin, well, Gavin, is in a band. Enough said. Casey is doing her best to keep them all on the level but she has a sneaky suspicion that there is something deeper going on here. Something beyond the normal games that guys play. And Casey prides herself on being able to outsmart the players. Most of the time, anyway...

This was definitely a guilty pleasure to read and made me think back to those days of being that age and feeling like other people’s opinions actually mattered like that. The story itself as a snapshot is very clever and written in such an easy and flowing way that you truly feel you need to get through just one more chapter and then just one more. Her writing style is fun and inclusive and makes you believe what the character is feeling. I understood Casey’s frustrating struggle in trying to get Amber to see passed her rose-tinted glasses and I wanted to shake Amber so many times!

The only negatives I found were a few editing mistakes, but nothing that would interrupt the flow of reading, and I found Casey’s tirade about playing games a bit hysterical and could actually hear high-pitched shrieks in my head. But those were very minor things.

Be warned—the book ends on a major cliffhanger which is rather frustrating but understandable to lead into the next one. A fab, fun lazy day read! Thanks to Voracious Readers Only and the author for the opportunity to review the book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”