Official Review: Broken Blood by Stephen Kunkler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Official Review: Broken Blood by Stephen Kunkler

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken Blood" by Stephen Kunkler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

** I always try my best to avoid spoilers in my reviews. However, I felt I must include a small warning at the end of this one. I alert you now that if you wish to avoid even the slightest spoiler, DO NOT read the last sentence. You have been warned. **

The world ended in fire and chaos, leaving only cities of twisted iron and crumbling asphalt. We few who survive have made a home, of sorts, in the Alman district on the outskirts of Varalite City. As far as we have been able to learn, we are all that remains of humanity. Today is Day Last. For a few of us, it is the most dangerous day of the year. Fall is ending, and it is the last time before the black snows that any of us will be able to make their way into the crumbling ruins of Varalite City to scavenge for supplies. My name is Alex. I turned sixteen this year, and I'm among the chosen. It’s time to go.

Unbeknownst to the community, the exploration of the city this year will be like no other before it. As Alex and the others selected for the task pick their way through the broken streets and ravaged buildings of Varalite City, the impossible happens. A two-way radio flickers to life. On the other end is a voice unfamiliar to them. Is it possible that they are not alone, not the only ones to have survived the bombs? Broken Blood by Stephen Kunkler follows a small band chosen from this isolated community as they struggle to cross a highly irradiated wasteland following the call of an unknown voice. The author leads us on a suspense-filled trek with twists around every corner. Think you know how it ends? Think again.

I read Broken Blood through in one sitting. Although at ninety-seven pages, that wasn’t difficult to do, the story was so compelling I could not put it down. Kunkler brought to life the desperate plight of the survivors as well as the hope that blossomed at hearing a single voice reaching across the airwaves. He drew me along, held fast with suspense and worry, as Alex and the others chosen trekked through constant peril to find those calling out to them. His descriptions were so vivid that I could almost feel the inches deep ash shift beneath my feet as I journeyed with Alex and his companions. His talent for building emotion held me so spellbound that through the very last scenes of the book, I felt every emotion evoked.

As much as I liked it, the novel did have shortcomings. The phrasing was often awkward, and the character development was somewhat lacking. There were difficulties with punctuation, and there was one word which was repeatedly and annoyingly misused. For example, many sentences resembled this one, using phrase after phrase: “During the day, I spent hours locked in the bathroom, telling others I was washing up, while in actuality I was curled up in the bathtub, trying to shut the world out.” The punctuation problems were mostly with commas and incorrect ending punctuation. Most distracting, however, was that the author regularly used the word “mouthed” to describe dialogue that might have been “said,” or “muttered,” or even “screamed.” The emotion behind it didn’t seem to matter. It was used as a ‘catch-all’ word. “’ We may be able to eat these!’ she mouthed excitedly.” Or “’…It’s not going to do any good…’ Chester mouthed; I could see a tear roll down his face.”

While fairly well-defined, the characters are admittedly not strongly developed. In my opinion, there are good reasons for this. First, the book focuses only on the most recent three years since the bombs dropped. Second, what little background is given is mostly devoted to the four families chosen to go on the cross-country journey. All other characters are secondary or side characters who are important only for a scene or two in the book. Last, of those on the quest, some play a more significant role than others. These individuals, though still not strongly developed, have the most rounded characters.

Broken Blood is a quick, enjoyable read which I give 3 out of 4 stars. Because of the frequent and extremely distracting misuse of the word “mouthed” and other mentioned errors, I had to knock off a star. Despite the shortcomings in writing style, I did not go as far down as two stars because of the author’s skill at pulling the reader into the story. If you like post-apocalyptic stories with a dose of mystery and plenty of twists and turns, then put this book on your reading list. Just remember, it contains a marked annoyance (e.g., “mouthed” ad nauseam) which is difficult to overlook. There is no foul language but (SPOILER ALERT >>> SPOILER ALERT) due to the graphic images evoked by the ending, I absolutely cannot recommend it for younger readers.

Broken Blood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Books are my self-medication. 8)
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I do not quite seem to clearly understand the storyline or even relate to the themes that the author explores. Therefore, I would not love to add this book to my "want to read" list. Nonetheless, thank you for the review.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

OuKoyoo wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 11:47 I do not quite seem to clearly understand the storyline or even relate to the themes that the author explores. Therefore, I would not love to add this book to my "want to read" list. Nonetheless, thank you for the review.
If I can help alleviate your confusion in any way, please let me know. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the wonderful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love more dystopian novels. This one sounds really, really exciting. I wonder if the ending would be a bit dark for me. I might have to try it, though. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 15:12 Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Thank you for your kind words! I did enjoy reading it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 17:05 I love more dystopian novels. This one sounds really, really exciting. I wonder if the ending would be a bit dark for me. I might have to try it, though. Thanks for your thoughts.
Dystopian novels are a favorite for me as well. If you're really, really not into 'dark' endings, you might want to avoid this one. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Thanks for the well-written review! I find it interesting that the book is so short. Maybe that's why there wasn't very much character development. I like how the premise sounds though. I might have to look into this one.
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Interesting review! I did read the last sentence, despite the warning 🙂 I don't think this book is for me, but thank you for your refreshing recommendation!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

reneelu1998 wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 20:22 Thanks for the well-written review! I find it interesting that the book is so short. Maybe that's why there wasn't very much character development. I like how the premise sounds though. I might have to look into this one.
Thank you for the compliment. I always like knowing that others have enjoyed my writing. I think that the character development (or lack thereof) was because the author did focus only on the last three years since the bombs dropped. If the book had been longer, though, it's possible he might have developed them more fully. Thanks for stopping by and reading my review!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

InStoree wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 23:31 Interesting review! I did read the last sentence, despite the warning 🙂 I don't think this book is for me, but thank you for your refreshing recommendation!
Thank you for your kind words you're welcome! Thanks for stopping by and reading the review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I am glad a few individuals have remained after this major war. I look forward to reading it as the post-apocalyptic storyline looks compelling. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

97 pages? Between the time I spend in the airport and the hour on the plane, I can finish that on the way to visit my daughter. Definitely sounds like a book I would enjoy, but I would most definitely be annoyed by the use of the word "mouthed" in lieu of "said" if the people are actually speaking out loud. Maybe if the character were hard of hearing and reading lips the whole time, I could get behind that, but otherwise, I think I would be as annoyed as you were.
Also, I am super glad you like reading a lot of the same kinds of books I do, because I love reading your reviews.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Wyland wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 08:11 I am glad a few individuals have remained after this major war. I look forward to reading it as the post-apocalyptic storyline looks compelling. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Compelling is an excellent description. You don't just feel for the characters; it's almost as if you feel through them. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for the compliment and for stopping by and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

esp1975 wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 12:53 97 pages? Between the time I spend in the airport and the hour on the plane, I can finish that on the way to visit my daughter. Definitely sounds like a book I would enjoy, but I would most definitely be annoyed by the use of the word "mouthed" in lieu of "said" if the people are actually speaking out loud. Maybe if the character were hard of hearing and reading lips the whole time, I could get behind that, but otherwise, I think I would be as annoyed as you were.
Also, I am super glad you like reading a lot of the same kinds of books I do, because I love reading your reviews.
Yes, they are actually speaking aloud, not even whispering the majority of the time, which I could almost understand. As far as I could tell, none of them were hard of hearing...maybe Adam, as he was described as "an old man." I'm so glad you enjoy my reviews! I love knowing that others enjoy my writing. I enjoy reading yours as well! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”