Official Review: The Ash Throne by E.G. Arch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Official Review: The Ash Throne by E.G. Arch

Post by Monet_va »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ash Throne" by E.G. Arch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ash Throne is the first instalment in E.G. Arch’s The Fae Trilogy. Arch has set her story in a new setting based on Scandinavian folklore, giving a unique perspective on a classic fairy story.

Fallon Solveji was born into the royal house of the Blodvinger clan. But she is a bastard and has never belonged among the Vikings. When her father banishes her, Fallon must get as far away from the clan as possible and with the help of a Hulder (a seductive forest creature), she stumbles into Elphyne – the world of the fae. There she discovers that she is so much more than just a chief’s daughter, and with Elphyne in danger, she might be the only one who can save the Ash Throne.

From the first page, the reader already gets a sense of Fallon’s personality and the story immediately opens up with action. I enjoyed this because the book drew me in quite quickly and had me eager to turn pages during the first five chapters. Arch wrote a brilliant beginning to her story, but towards the middle, things slowed down a bit too much.

One of the subplots that didn’t seem to make much sense to me was the romance that occurred in the story. For a large part of the book, the characters were developing a friendship which involved lots of banter and good moments, but I never felt any chemistry between them. Towards the end of the book, where the story started to hint at a romance, I found myself hoping that the characters would not get together because it didn’t seem believable.

There were other smaller aspects of the story which I also didn’t enjoy. Fallon learns things incredibly quickly – mastering skills in the period of an afternoon. She also references her mother quite often and quotes her a lot. But later in the book, she says she ‘never knew her mother’ which confused me. One of the characters, Ronen, also seemed to not have much of a goal or purpose in the novel. All characters must want something, that’s what drives their story, and the lack of this made him feel unnecessary at times.

Another good point was that the book seemed to be professionally edited and I found no evidence of spelling or grammar mistakes.

I’d rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were moments which I didn’t enjoy, but for a Young Adult fantasy novel, I think the author did a good job of telling a story. I would recommend this book to younger fans of the genre, and even middle grade readers.

The Ash Throne
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I love the setting for this book--I really enjoy Scandinavian folklore. It's unfortunate that the plot bogs down toward the middle and that some of the character interactions don't make sense. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Scandinavian mythology is a ton of fun. This sounds like a great book for kids who might be interested in that, and me, as well. I kind of hate that there needs to be romance in young adult novels at all, so I would be with you in wishing the relationship remained a friendship.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love young adult novels. Scandinavian origins and folklore are something I'm unfamiliar with but would love to learn about. All in all, I think I'm going to have to explore this one further! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

The plot sounds very interesting so I was sorry to read that the story loses its quality as it proceeds. I hope the author takes you constructive criticism to heart and makes a few improvements. Thanks for the review!
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

The story has an amazing plot and sounds like a book that would make a captivating read for people who love adult novels. Thank you for the great review.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I can never get enough of folklore and mythology. It sounds like a good read and matches my tastes. Great review!
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

This sounds quite interesting, especially the aspect of Scandinavian folklore! This sounds like something I’d enjoy except for the romance. I generally don’t tend to like romance in YA or middle-grade books.
~Roxie~
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

The premise of this book sounds right up my alley. That's too bad about the weak romance subplot. However, I think I still might check this book out. Thanks for the well-written review!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The romance subplot aside, it sounds pretty cool! I'd be interested in knowing just how much Scandinavian mythology is in there and how it affects the story.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”