Official Review: Drive Me by Scott Welsh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: Drive Me by Scott Welsh

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Drive Me" by Scott Welsh.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Drive Me, written by Scott Welsh, tells the tale of the fledgling inventor Jeremiah in his quest to create a flying car. He’s supported by his best friend Mike, a bright and charismatic individual who, despite being in a wheelchair, acts as a pillar to the community. Sadly, he also faces a large obstacle: the greedy Ted Fulton has lent money to Jeremiah with nefarious intentions. Will Jeremiah and his friends overcome Ted’s schemes and pave the way for flying vehicles?

Unfortunately, even though the characters in this novel are based on the author and his acquaintances, they’re the weakest aspect. Mike is supposed to be an inspiration to everyone, but he doesn’t do or say anything particularly inspiring (not even during a flashback). There’s also Jeremiah, who says he has a problem sticking to his plans, but we never see this struggle. Indeed, it’s quite the opposite, as the man won’t even let murder get in the way of his project. There’s a reason why “show, don’t tell” is a golden rule in storytelling: we find it harder to relate to a story or character without experiencing the events ourselves.

The worst character by far, however, is Ted. He takes away any semblance of realism from the story by acting as a cartoonish villain who can get away with anything. He goes around beating people up, committing murder in broad daylight, and even exploding places without batting an eye. It’s hard to take anything seriously when a character can order the police around just because of his moderate wealth.

Drive Me’s plot is fairly basic, but it could’ve worked well with better planning and execution. The portions about Jeremiah desperately trying to bring his ideas to fruition and his budding relationship with Ted’s ex-wife Elizabeth are interesting enough on their own. Indeed, removing Ted from the story or at least significantly diminishing his role would get rid of lots of problems. Add some character development on top of that, and you might end up with a pretty good novel.

The book needs extensive editing. I found nine errors before even reaching the second chapter, alongside several awkward and confusing sentences like “It secured him of being popular, even at ten you think of attention.” There’s also no transition between scenes: in one paragraph you’re following a character, and in the next, you find yourself in a completely different scene.

Profanities are thrown around left and right, often to an excessive degree. Ted barely has any lines of dialogue in which he’s not cursing, making him even more of a caricature. There aren’t explicit sex scenes or graphic violence, but the vulgar language makes the novel unsuitable for younger audiences.

I admire the author for writing a book in honor of a great friend and publishing it to the world; it’s an endeavor that takes effort and courage. That said, the novel is simply not at a level I would recommend to anyone, featuring weak characters, an unbelievable setting, confusing writing, and several grammatical and typographical errors. For these reasons, I rate Drive Me 1 out of 4 stars.

Drive Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

The characters sound weak and a book lacking in smooth transitions is one I think I will skip. Fortunately, you were able to write a fabulous review! Thanks for your honest account of the book.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

Poor characters are at the top of my list of grievances while reading. You are right on when you stated that author's must show not tell. Thanks for this excellent review. Your rating is explained well!
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

It's a shame that the characters are so lacking in this novel. It sounds like an overall interesting concept, just missing the execution necessary. Thanks for the great review!
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

That is such a shame because I loved the title!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

You highlighted many of the elements I tend to avoid in a book. The story itself sounds like it has potential and I agree that it's admirable to write in honor of an inspiring friend, but I'd have to wait to see some improvements before reading this one for myself. Thanks for the honest review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

dorebri2020 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 09:34 It's a shame that the characters are so lacking in this novel. It sounds like an overall interesting concept, just missing the execution necessary. Thanks for the great review!
angiejack456 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 06:58 Poor characters are at the top of my list of grievances while reading. You are right on when you stated that author's must show not tell. Thanks for this excellent review. Your rating is explained well!
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 06:01 The characters sound weak and a book lacking in smooth transitions is one I think I will skip. Fortunately, you were able to write a fabulous review! Thanks for your honest account of the book.
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 12:02 You highlighted many of the elements I tend to avoid in a book. The story itself sounds like it has potential and I agree that it's admirable to write in honor of an inspiring friend, but I'd have to wait to see some improvements before reading this one for myself. Thanks for the honest review!
Thanks for the comments! The story does have potential, but sadly the execution leaves much to be desired.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm surprised about the profanity. I know we don't consider that much in our society, but if there book is meant for a younger audience, it should be kept out. I like the idea of creating a flying car, but I'm appalled at the execution of this one. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 18:27 I'm surprised about the profanity. I know we don't consider that much in our society, but if there book is meant for a younger audience, it should be kept out. I like the idea of creating a flying car, but I'm appalled at the execution of this one. Thanks!
Indeed, this book is simultaneously juvenile (with a cartoonish villain and simplistic storyline) and mature (with violence and profanities), which is probably a sign of not having a clearly defined intended audience. Thanks for the comment!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I am surprised this book was classified as young adult. Young adult books almost never have actual adults as the main characters (unless I am misunderstanding the comment about the growing relationship between Jeremiah and Ted's ex-wife). I think it's great that the author wanted to write a book to honor a friend, but it does not sound like he really delivered anything beyond a completed book.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

esp1975 wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 18:24 I am surprised this book was classified as young adult. Young adult books almost never have actual adults as the main characters (unless I am misunderstanding the comment about the growing relationship between Jeremiah and Ted's ex-wife). I think it's great that the author wanted to write a book to honor a friend, but it does not sound like he really delivered anything beyond a completed book.
Yes, the young adult classification is definitely odd. The plot is rather juvenile, but all of the characters are adults and the story takes some pretty dark turns given the target audience. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”