Is There a Book That Shaped You as A YA?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cosmic_juno
Bookshelf Size: 0

Is There a Book That Shaped You as A YA?

Post by cosmic_juno » 26 Jul 2019, 23:32

Is there one YA book in particular, perhaps one about coming of age or something along those lines, that really shaped you as a young adult or even a young teen? Something that was so thought provoking that it might’ve changed your views on the world or helped you through a rough time? Mine is absolutely The Catcher in The Rye by J.D Salinger. I know a lot of readers are divided about that novel, but as a depressed teenager struggling through high school and a bad home life it really spoke to me and touched my heart and soul. I promise I wasn’t as snarky as Holdon back then, although I might be now :lol2:
So, what about you? What book really shaped you as a young adult or helped you through a tough time?

Kikijanika
Currently Reading: War Storm
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kikijanika.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Kikijanika » 02 Aug 2019, 17:27

Probably The Hunger Games because it was the first ya series I read and loved.

INSHA9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by INSHA9 » 14 Aug 2019, 08:06

Walking through depression reading helped me a lot,,not the content wise but general reading and yes I think there's something good to learn at the end of each book.. I loved reading a series by Catherine doyle . The book is vendetta from series blood for blood.

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: F in Exams
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Daughter of Athena by A. Rose
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 02 Sep 2019, 04:10

This going to sound really cliched but the Harry Potter books helped to develop my sense of justice. Oh and Tamora Pierce's work was very much a foundational part of my formative years.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

MRose200293
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrose200293.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by MRose200293 » 03 Sep 2019, 00:02

I think I’d have to say Turtles All the Way Down by John Green. It was the first book that made me feel such strong emotions and it put me in a strange place for a while. I still think back to it every once in a while and remember reading it for the first time.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”