Official Review: Suspension by Janet lawrence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: Suspension by Janet lawrence

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Suspension" by Janet lawrence.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Suspension by Janet Daniels Lawrence is a story that caught me by surprise. I didn’t expect to become so invested in the characters or to need so many tissues.

Mitchell “Monster” Macintosh is the terror of Boston Low School (not to be confused with Boston High School). Leonardo “Leo” Smith is obsessively curious with the seemingly troubled youth. Why is he so mean to people? Why is he always being sent to detention? Why is he so angry? Leo and his friend, Will, spy on Monster in order to figure out the bully’s secrets.

When I started reading this book, I wasn’t especially interested. Leo is writing an essay for college admission. He’s a typical teenage boy. He talks about his girlfriend and how she’s going away to school a year ahead of him. I generally love young adult fiction but I didn’t feel I could relate to this character or situation. I wasn’t sure where the story was headed. Leo’s essay question is, “What event or time period in your life has had the biggest impact on who you really are, and why?” He tells us about a time in middle school but he tells us in a somewhat disjointed way. The story skips around, wherever memories take him, and we get to see things through Leo’s eyes. Reading a story this way got fairly annoying at times, but overall it helped me to really experience the situations naturally. I felt like I was part of the class. I felt like I was on the bus with the other kids. I felt like I was sneaking around trying to spy on Monster.

My favorite part of the book was Leo’s character. Children have their own priorities and mannerisms. It was so genuine to see him trying to act mature by doing things like shaking a grownup’s hand. I liked his logic of eating as much popcorn as he wanted while running the snack booth, but that candy and chips were off-limits. There were so many simple things that really added up to a great portrayal of a child in middle school.

By the end, I don’t think there was anything I didn’t like about the book. While reading, I didn’t like that Leo would go off on a tangent explaining certain things. It left me at the edge of my seat waiting for the interlude to end so that we could continue the story. However, these side-notes were so important for the reader’s understanding. I wouldn’t change a thing.

I found a few errors in the manuscript. Overall it seemed professionally edited. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I cried so hard towards the end. I was absolutely moved by this book. I highly recommend this to all readers.

Suspension
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
racelaine
Currently Reading: Dangerous Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-racelaine.html
Latest Review: Aftermath by Charles Williams

Post by racelaine »

The way you describe the timing of the book makes it very interesting. I'm a sucker for good characters, so I think I'll have to check this one out! Great review! :techie-studyingbrown:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love it when I am moved by a book as you were with this one, and it sounds like you really connected with it.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The fascination with Monster could get Leo in trouble but it also sounds pretty enlightening. Nice review!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a great middle-grade/young adult book. It sounds like a tale of discovery and developing empathy. It does make me very curious as to what was happening with Monster.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

It's funny when the author is still digressing while you are anxiously waiting for the continuation of his main story. *laughs*

The book gets through to you. Wow!

Let me cry with you. *wah*

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”