Holes by Louis Sachar (Adventure in Fiction)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LJimenez_94
Bookshelf Size: 0

Holes by Louis Sachar (Adventure in Fiction)

Post by LJimenez_94 »

Howdy! Ever wondered what it is like to travel the dirt roads of Texas in a juvenile detention bus to a camp ground in the middle of Texas? What about an abandoned girl scout camp that is used as a camp ground facility? Have you ever thought of swimming in a dried up lake? Or digging holes as a sport to win extra showers and water? In a place filled with history of outlaws, urban legends from an old fortune teller, and a curse; will there be treasures worth millions, found under ground belonging to your camp mate's great-great-great grandfather?
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

This book is a big hit for students every year. Nice, qiuck read with lots of twists and turns...5th-6th grades.
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I found the book very interesting when I read it, and I do agree it would be a big hit for younger students who are in middle school, but its plot is compelling no matter the age group.
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

I remember reading this book as it was for my brother's book report. It was honestly such an interesting plot, never saw anything like it before. I would definitely recommend this to anyone, even adults who are looking for a quick read.
earprick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-earprick.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by earprick »

Oh man, I read this in my pre-teen years and reread it recently. It's just as good as I remembered! There's no young adult story quite like it, and I think it's especially relevant today. There's nothing quite like a young adult novel about the often arbitrary imprisonment and exploitation of young adults.
Imani003
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Imani003 »

This book is one of the most forgettable stories I’ve ever read. It tells how he was treated like he had stolen something and went to a camp only to find a big twist will come from his “punishment”. This story is one of my personal favorite and I hope any others that read it enjoy it as well.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

I remember reading this during my early years at high school! It really got me interested in analysing books in my English class, plus it is a pretty timeless read.

It's an excellent story of redemption and a tale of mystery, I also really enjoy the movie - odd that a movie adaptation actually did a book justice!
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I love holes! It’s such a good story, it’s right up there with Maniac MaGee for me!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
hmorgan90
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmorgan90.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by hmorgan90 »

I first read Holes when I was in 5th grade. Loved it!! I remember having a conversation with my reading group about fate and learning what it is. Was it fate or just a coincidence? I loved the movie too.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I totally forgot about this book until I saw this feed. I loved this book growing up, might need to re-read it now!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”