Official Review: Li Bais shadow by Lee J Mavin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Official Review: Li Bais shadow by Lee J Mavin

Post by Niv123 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Li Bais shadow" by Lee J Mavin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is one story that captivated me right from the start to the finish. I absolutely loved Lee J Mavin's style of writing and the many different techniques he has tactfully employed in this novel.

To begin with, the characterization is exceptional. The novel is not traditionally divided into chapters as in other novels, but is just a collection of entries giving the reader a glimpse into the minds of the main characters, namely, Caitlin, Steven, Li Bai and Susan. In short, all the events in the novel are conveyed through the thoughts of these characters. There is no omniscient author who narrates the story; this gives us a deeper understanding of each characters’ mindset and thought processes. The author has done a marvelous job by giving a subtle change in his writing style for each character, making it easier to form a reader-character bond.

The story is wonderfully absurd and unique. Caitlin initially seems like a child suffering from severe OCD and hence constantly talks to an imaginary character by the name of Li Bai, who was a great poet during the Tang dynasty. But one begins to question the real existence of this imaginary character when the author writes about his thoughts and feelings as well. Towards the end of the novel, it is safe to say that Li Bai is not simply a figment of Caitlin’s imagination, but has some sort of spiritual/mystical bond with her, until he eventually let's her go.

I love that the author has made a brilliant mix between the highly practical world along with the magical. On one hand, we have Susan and Steven, two Australians trying to fight their way through the many cultural hurdles they face in China to rescue Caitlin, while on the other hand we have Caitlin and Li Bai, encountering emperors and palaces and having the most amazing adventure of their lives.

Though I absolutely loved the book and found it incredibly entertaining, it broke my heart to find the editing horrendous. There were a minimum of three typographical errors in each page and that ruined the overall rating of the book. I was also surprised to find that every now and then, the name of the character speaking was not mentioned and the reader had to guess using the tone of the character. This was also a rather huge error that went unnoticed while the novel was edited. Therefore, I am forced to give the book two out of four stars, only because of this reason.

Apart from the mistakes mentioned above, I absolutely loved Li Bais Shadow and will definitely give it another read in the future!

Li Bais shadow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It really does stink when you have to rate an otherwise good novel lower just due to the editing. I do hope the author is able to take your advice to heart and get some proofreading done at the very least! Thanks so much for your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I appreciate authors who know how to handle the topic of OCD. This seems to be a very rich book, given the adventures the characters have, as well as numerous interesting places, such as China. I'm very sorry that the book contained a lot of typographical errors. All in all, thank you for an excellent review!
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

Well, three typos per page are a lot. I would gladly pick up an edited version. Thanks for this review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It is too bad about the poor editing.thank you for a great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It's such a shame when an otherwise exceptional book lacks sufficient editing. Thanks for your honest review.
Niv123

Post by Niv123 »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 08:49 It really does stink when you have to rate an otherwise good novel lower just due to the editing. I do hope the author is able to take your advice to heart and get some proofreading done at the very least! Thanks so much for your review.
I completely agree with you! Thank you for your time!!
Niv123

Post by Niv123 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 16:16 It's such a shame when an otherwise exceptional book lacks sufficient editing. Thanks for your honest review.
Thanks for stopping by!:)
Niv123

Post by Niv123 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 10:34 It is too bad about the poor editing.thank you for a great review!
Thank you!:))
Niv123

Post by Niv123 »

LeeleeByoma wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 10:31 Well, three typos per page are a lot. I would gladly pick up an edited version. Thanks for this review.
Thank you for your comment!
Niv123

Post by Niv123 »

ivana7 wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 10:11 I appreciate authors who know how to handle the topic of OCD. This seems to be a very rich book, given the adventures the characters have, as well as numerous interesting places, such as China. I'm very sorry that the book contained a lot of typographical errors. All in all, thank you for an excellent review!
I'm glad you enjoyed it and completely agree with you!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The creative quality of this book is appealing. I really enjoyed how you described the way the author wrote the story from the character's thoughts. The errors are a huge drawback, but this one still sounds intriguing. Great review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a wonderful concept and a book that could be truly fabulous given an extra editing pass or two.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This sounds lovely. The idea of a girl having a mystical spiritual connection with an ancient Chinese poet is new, to say the least, and her being Australian was unexpected. Too bad about the editing because it sounds like there's a lot to this book for the reader to discover. Thanks for the review!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”