Official Review: Royal Rodger and the Great King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Royal Rodger and the Great King

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Royal Rodger and the Great King" by P. Edwin Harris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lord Acton once wrote, "power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." While I've seen nothing in my life to contradict this terrific quote, I've also learned one other related fact: the richer a person is, the crazier things they tend to spend their money on. Sure, every ridiculously wealthy person seems to have the collection of mansions and cars, but what then? Tech that seems like it comes from sci-fi movies? Perhaps the world's greatest collection of some sort or another?

"Super rich" people are far from a recent development. Even in Biblical times, people with too much money to spend had to find some kind of use for it. In Royal Rodger and the Great King by P Edwin Harris, King Herod is so rich and powerful that he wants to build the "greatest zoo the world has ever seen," greater even than Noah's Ark. Not only does he want this magnificent zoo, but he also wants to place a throne in the center, and to have all of the animals trained to bow before him.

One day, King Herod learned about the Great North Wood that was home to the most majestic moose. The king had to have one, and soon he did. But this moose knew of God and was taught to bow before none other than Him. Would this mighty moose be forced to bow, or would he reject this greedy, evil king? And what would happen to him if he refused to yield?

There are numerous Biblical stories of people who refuse to bow or accept someone as their lord, and while it sometimes turns out terribly, sometimes they're saved by a miracle or some sort of intervention. In this way, Royal Roger and the Great King makes for a good children's version of the same "courage under terrifying circumstances" theme. In fact, not only does this story fit well, it incorporates the birth of Jesus at the same time!

The book has far more words than many children's picture books, but the writing is very fitting for early readers. I don't see this becoming an early reader book, mind you, but I really didn't see any words that would be difficult to explain to children. Despite dealing with a potential life-or-death situation, there's also no violence and things don't actually get scary at all. The story is told with alternating full-page images and text against white backgrounds, making the words easy to read and the images easy to see.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the images overall. They look hand-drawn, which is nice, and while some of them look hand-colored, others look digitally colored. The digital coloring is what I have issues with - some of the art is okay enough using a solid color, even if it does look a bit odd without any shading, but the worst ones are the parts filled with patterns. The patterns look like something out the early days of the internet, and they make the art look incredibly unnatural.

Royal Rodger and the Great King is an easy recommendation for Christian parents with young children, as long as they aren't too picky about art. The writing feels right at home with many of the other Biblical stories I've heard, and yet is a great introduction to young children. I only found a couple errors - a use of "dear" instead of "deer" and an improperly-capitalized "He" (not referring to God). My rating of the book is 3 out of 4 stars.

Royal Rodger and the Great King
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

How heartbreaking that such a great story wasn't enhanced by equally great artwork. There are so many illustrators out there that would love to get their hands on this story too. Thanks for the great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is an interesting way to reinforce the teaching of the First Commandment. I can see children sympathizing with the moose. I agree that people who believe Biblical principles would be the most likely readers of this book. Interesting review!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

VernaVi wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 17:10 How heartbreaking that such a great story wasn't enhanced by equally great artwork. There are so many illustrators out there that would love to get their hands on this story too. Thanks for the great review!
I agree with this post 100%...the story sounds great, but I am picky about my art.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”