Official Review: Forgotten by the Shn by Celeste Eismann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: Forgotten by the Shn by Celeste Eismann

Post by Julie Petitbon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forgotten by the Shn" by Celeste Eismann.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Forgotten by the Sun by Celeste Eismann is a young adult paranormal romance. Amika Fernandez, a high school student, is captivated by the new boy in her class. Rhayne Welkins is tall, dark, and mysterious. From the moment she sees him, Amika knows that he is nothing like the other boys at school. Amika and Rayne feel an instant connection. As they grow closer, she learns why he seems so different. He is a vampire. When Amika has disturbing dreams that include Rayne, she is hesitant to tell him. She is sure that her dreams relate to his mysterious past. Amika is determined to find out what her dreams mean. However, as she falls in love with Rhayne, she learns how dangerous being part of his world really is.

One aspect of the book that is intriguing is the introduction to the “outside worlds.” These consist of four different worlds that are home to a variety of supernatural beings like vampires, werewolves, and demons. However, this part of the novel is very underdeveloped. The brief introduction to these worlds is a missed opportunity to put a unique spin on a typical vampire romance. Though I suspect the worlds will be important and further explored in the sequel, this story focuses more on the characters and their developing relationships.

This is a character-driven book. Though the novel focuses on the relationship between Amika and Rhayne, the other characters are just as vividly constructed as the main couple. The author cleverly uses dialogue and interactions to create dynamic characters. From the start of the book, when Amika is hurriedly trying to get to school on time with her two best friends, the personalities are defined.

Unfortunately, though the characters are well-developed, they are also stereotypical of the genre. For example, the protagonist falls in love with a brooding vampire. He is an older vampire, yet he still acts like a teenager. Amika has a clueless best friend, and she hates the snobby cheerleader who vies for the vampire’s attention. There is also a sneaky class clown and a mother that is absent most of the time. I wish that the characters had personalities that were less predictable and more unique.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. In addition to the previously mentioned concerns, the book contains many grammatical issues. Sentence fragments, missing quotation marks, and spelling errors are just a few of the grammatical problems. There is also inconsistent formatting throughout the book. Another round of proofreading and editing is needed.

The book will appeal to teens and young adults who like the typical vampire love story. I would not recommend the book to young readers because it includes violent and graphic scenes.

Forgotten by the Shn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Julie Petitbon's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

You gave a very fair review of this book. The "outside world" introduction and lack of development is mysterious. Thanks for your interesting review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I like that the author took the time to develop her characters, but the plot of the book itself doesn't sound all that original or intriguing to me. (It sounds a lot like Twilight, to be honest...) The many grammar errors are unfortunate as well. Thank you for your fair and thorough review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Too bad about the stereotyped characters. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The different worlds are the most interesting part of the book. It's too bad they aren't developed further; that would really help the book stand out, especially with all the stereotypical characters. I don't think I'll be reading this one, but I do appreciate your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

kdstrack wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 12:39 You gave a very fair review of this book. The "outside world" introduction and lack of development is mysterious. Thanks for your interesting review!
Thank you! I agree- the introduction to the other worlds is mysterious.
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Rachel Lea wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 15:33 I like that the author took the time to develop her characters, but the plot of the book itself doesn't sound all that original or intriguing to me. (It sounds a lot like Twilight, to be honest...) The many grammar errors are unfortunate as well. Thank you for your fair and thorough review!
I agree. The book very much resembles Twilight. The only thing missing is the love triangle. Thanks for responding!
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 12:08 The different worlds are the most interesting part of the book. It's too bad they aren't developed further; that would really help the book stand out, especially with all the stereotypical characters. I don't think I'll be reading this one, but I do appreciate your review.
Thanks for your response! I think developing those worlds would have made the book stand out as well. As it stands, it is not overly unique or developed.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I wish this was a better book, but it sounds too much like a mix of Twilight and the Vampire Diaries for my tastes. Thanks for the review!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I like the 'outside worlds' concept. Too bad the author did not follow through and develop it better. Maybe in the next book. I almost instantly thought of Bella, in Twilight. The book sounds almost like a re-do of that one. I'll pass for now. Thanks for the detailed review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Kelyn wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 00:16 I almost instantly thought of Bella, in Twilight. The book sounds almost like a re-do of that one.
That is exactly what I thought as I read it- just take out the love triangle. There were a few too many scenes and characters that mimicked Twilight.
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Nisha Ward wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 08:31 I wish this was a better book, but it sounds too much like a mix of Twilight and the Vampire Diaries for my tastes. Thanks for the review!
I agree. I think if the author focused a bit more on the aspects that weren't like Twilight, it would be a stronger piece. Thanks for responding! :D

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”