Official Review: It's A Weight To Wait

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: It's A Weight To Wait

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's A Weight To Wait" by James Ellis Chandler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jamal Jenkins was a pupil at the Rosa Park Middle School. Although dedicated to his schoolwork, the devil had a different assignment for him. He had to battle with the enticing beckoning of lust and find his balance in life. Could he withstand the strong temptation that leads many teens to a regretful life later in their future?

James Chandler uses It’s A Weight To Wait to tell the story of Jamal from his teenage years to his adulthood. As a teenage boy, he went through a traumatizing experience that involved his best friend (Dre) and the girl he believed he was in love with (Kayla). His parents, John and Regina, had to encourage him to overcome the experience. When he became of age, he got married and had three beautiful children. His oldest son, Trent, tended towards the teenage mess of sex and drugs. Could Jamal, as a father, help him through his crisis just like his parents did for him?

This piece of young adult fiction tells an amazing story. I liked that the author chose to narrate the protagonist’s story from his early teenage years. He shows that parental support is very important, especially during the most tempting years of life. For instance, John and Regina had to help their son, Jamal, through his teenage crisis. Jamal, as a parent, found himself doing the same for his son, Trent.

Chandler used Bible quotes extensively throughout the book to support his points of view. Since Jamal came from a Bible-believing family, it was only fit for his parents and the church to instill the word of God in his heart. I appreciated the author’s ability to develop Jamal character to portray that it is not always easy to follow the teachings.

Sadly, the book is not without a downside. While reading the book, I felt that the author could have given the book more flesh other than rushing from one scene to the other. For instance, the transition between Jamal’s teenage years and his adulthood was not properly developed. In one of the scenes, Jamal was meeting his future employer and in the next scene we meet Jamal as a married man with three children. The transition could have been better.

The book is not professionally edited. I came across many errors that really distracted me from enjoying the read. They included grammatical errors and missing punctuation marks. A round of thorough editing should be able to remove all the errors. Therefore, I gave the book 3 out of 4 stars. Teenagers and young adults will find this book helpful. However, I have to warn the reader that the book has some explicit sex scenes.

It's A Weight To Wait
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a very interesting family drama. It seems like the explicit scenes might be a bit much for the intended audience, though. Sounds like there's a lot to learn from Jamal. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Stories with positive parental portrayal are inspiring. The sex scenes would seem to detract from this otherwise wholesome read. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

It sounds like a very promising book, with a unique and insightful plot. However, it would probably greatly benefit from the author having a bit more attention to detail as well as another round of proofreading. I think I will pass on this one for now, but great review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sounds like a great book that invites the reader into his family life to witness all the love and dysfunction that goes hand in hand with family. Great review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I don't think explicit sex scenes really belong in a book for young adults... But the plot sounds emotional and realistic. It's a pity there are so many grammar errors. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

The author's book is positive as he chooses to write about his old pal at his former school. I also like that it's peppered with Bible quotes. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”