For The Hunger Games series fans - Gale or Peeta?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nangel04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nangel04.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Re: For The Hunger Games series fans - Gale or Peeta?

Post by nangel04 »

HanElizabeth397 wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 14:25
nangel04 wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 22:20 Peeta! Clearly, it is Peeta. Do not get me wrong, Katniss loves Gale, but as her best friend. Peeta is more than that. Peeta is willing to die for her. Peeta would give up anything to ensure Katniss’ safety and/or happiness. He would hand her over to Gale if that was what she wanted (and if it were his decision to make). Gale, on the other hand, finds revenge and killing more essential than love (as can be seen by the ending). Peeta (when not brainwashed) is selfless and as passive as the world he lives in allows.
His passivity also balances out Katniss really well! Whereas Katniss and Gale are both super fiery!
Very true!
In the beginning was the Word...John 1:1

Reason and love keep little company together nowadays. ~Shakespeare; A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Ffion_
Currently Reading: The New Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ffion_ »

I totally agree! I feel like Gale was her idealised version of love but Peeta was someone who had been through all the trauma she had. He was someone who represented more hope and a different meaning of love to her, one that wasn’t comparable to Gale.
victoriac4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriac4.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by victoriac4 »

I truly feel that Katniss and Peeta were 100% meant to be. They went through literal hell and back together on more than one occasion. I think Katniss loved Gale more like a brother than a lover, so it never really would've worked out for them. Katniss and Peeta just make sense, they became each other's comfort. They were both willing to die for each other, literally, when it came down to it. The love between Katniss and Peeta was so intense that Gale could never compete.
Junkkk123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Junkkk123 »

I feel like Peeta is better than Gail even though he wasn't there most of her life, he was more caring and they both knew what to do for each other since they both had PTSD from the Games
Shanshan2520

Post by Shanshan2520 »

I feel like Peeta and Katniss are a very good match. Gale and Katniss have a history but i see Gale as more of a brother to Katniss than as a romantic partner.
CozyReader-123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozyreader-123.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by CozyReader-123 »

Love comes in many forms, whether for family, a dear friend, comrade-in-arms or someone that comes into your life unexpectedly.
Throughout the entire series, I think Katniss loved both Gail and Peeta, but in differing ways. The question is which one did she open her heart to. It was Peeta 100%.
Gail was her support growing up in her district, she was more or less on her own taking care of her sister as her mother mentally checked out from being a present parent.
With Peeta, there was a deep level of understanding, attraction and friendship that was build accross the entire series.
jaedyn donovan

Post by jaedyn donovan »

The first time I ever heard about the "Hunger Games" series, I immediately wanted to read it. I went to Barnes and Noble bookstore close to home and picked out the three books. After reading the first book, I understood the story: it's about a sixteen-year-old girl, Katniss Everdeen, who risked her life to save her sister from dying in the Games - that proves how big of a sacrifice she made just to keep her sister safe. When I read the second book, "Catching Fire", I loved how Katniss and Peeta's relationship developed and they became closer, until the end, when Katniss and Peeta were separated. The third book, "Mockingjay", wasn't my favorite. But the ending was cute. The movies weren't all that much different from the books, but the trilogy is AWESOME.
tanalampe

Post by tanalampe »

PEETA!! 100 percent!! gale.....no, absolutely not. one, peeta was always in love with Katniss, (gale probably was too but,) and peeta cared for her and him in the first book!!! AHHHJAJSLN. peeta.
Mollie Doran
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollie-doran.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Mollie Doran »

I understand all the arguments for Peeta, however, I always felt Katniss and Gale just had more in common. More common interests, more things to talk about, more common life experience- he took care of her family while she was away!

If Katniss and Peeta hadn't been bonded by trauma then there was no way she would have ever fallen in love with him. This is why I will always be team Gale, poor lad missed out because fate kept shooting his arrows straight for Peeta.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I think that Katniss truly loved Peeta. I think she wanted to be in love with Gale because they had been friends for so long, but her feelings were just stronger for Peeta. I think what gave Peeta more of an edge is simply that they had been through so many harsh things together. That created an unbreakable bond between them. I think she wanted someone more mellow after the Hunger Games as well rather than someone who wanted to continue fighting. S Peeta ended up being the better match in that area as well.
erzaandjellal

Post by erzaandjellal »

Katniss and Peeta. Honestly, I'm a Gale fan but even i can't deny that there is something else with Peeta. So, sorry Gale but it can't be you
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

I loved Gale in the beginning because of the instant chemistry. But as the story moved on, I started to prefer Peeta. He was always there for Katniss.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I think she loves Gale until the war, where she stops loving him and discovers she can really love Peeta. As character, I prefer Peeta. I feel Gale is annoying.
Rayne Wib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Rayne Wib »

Katniss loved both of them but she just didn't like Gale romantically. I have a little headcannon that Katniss is demiromantic. It makes sense because she has a strong emotional connection with both people she is shown to be romantically attracted to. At one point in Catching Fire, Gale and Katniss have a conversation Gale- "I knew you'd kiss me."
Katniss- "How?" I say. Because I didn't know myself.
Gale- "Because I'm in pain," he says. "That's the only way I get your attention." This sums up their romance. It's only when Katniss feels guilty about something, such as Gale getting hurt for defending her or Gale liking her and her liking Peeta. That doesn't mean she doesn't like or love Gale. It just means that she doesn't romantically love Gale. Even in the beginning their relationship is more like a brother and sister. It's also important to note that Gale and Katniss had a trauma bond over living in district eleven. After district eleven was destroyed they kind of lost that common atmosphere. Especially, since after the bombing Gale starts being more vengeful and Katniss didn't want anymore violence.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

Tavaiel26 wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 18:01 I feel like in the end it wasn't about who she loved (and she probably loved them both) but about who she needed. Peeta was just a better compliment for the life that Katniss needed to live after the games.
I agree! I think Katniss did love them both, and they each represented a different part of her life. I think at first she felt more connected to Gale because of their history and just general compatibility. I think her upfront personality and self-deprecation would have never drawn her to Peeta if not for the Hunger Games. He’s very gentle, and Katniss is decidedly not gentle. But as time went on, I think she grew to appreciate his gentleness and found she needed him because of all the traits he had that also happen to be ones she feels undeserving of.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”