Official Review: "Some Dreams are for Real"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: "Some Dreams are for Real"

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Some Dreams are for Real"" by Garrett lowry.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some Dreams are for Real is a young adult novel by Garrett Lowry. The story focuses on fourteen-year-old Emma who dies after her family’s vehicle is involved in a car accident. Her spirit is guided on a new journey by her higher self as she tries to understand the spiritual realm and her true purpose. She develops angelic powers and uses them to help her family and friends after her death. Can she heal their grief and save them all from the struggles they are facing without her? Moreover, will she extend a spiritual helping hand to the teenage girl who was responsible for the accident that claimed her life? Emma touches many lives and continues to guide people away from the path of destruction, but the main question is whether or not she will get a second chance at life.

What I liked most about the book was that it dealt with many controversial issues that young people are likely to be a part of such as LGBTQ discrimination, partying with drugs and alcohol, sharing nude photos, and using cellphones while driving. Other issues were confronted in the novel as well, such as the sexual molestation of minors, homelessness, crime, family separation, immigration, and gun violence.

I appreciated that the author included aspects of Mexican culture in the book. Descriptions of Mexican food, Spanish phrases, and coming of age events like Emma’s quinceanera added a unique and exotic flair to the story. Side stories portraying the difficulties faced by more than one Mexican family as they struggled with immigration really highlighted the plight of Mexican migrants.

Despite these two positive features of the book, I felt like the author did a lot of telling rather than showing. This is what I disliked the most. For instance, if a character was fearful or anxious, this was simply stated. Instead, the author could have used descriptions of his/her body language and feelings to show this. Although the story was told from Emma’s perspective, many things were described outside of this. For instance, whenever a new character was introduced, a backstory was included. This was unnecessary for supporting characters.

Furthermore, a lot of statistical and scientific information was included in the book. This was most prevalent when a new social issue was revealed. Data from studies about teen sexting, violent video games, poor teen decisions due to underdeveloped brains, and cellphone use while driving were just a few things that were incorporated into the story. While this is important information, it made me feel as if I were reading an educational textbook rather than a novel. This aspect of the book was very off-putting to me and it may also repel some teen readers. Emma also intuitively seemed to know about all of these studies and statistics which was not credible at all.

Based on these flaws, the typographical errors, and the punctuation mistakes I spotted in the book, I have decided to award Some Dreams are for Real 2 out of 4 stars. The target audience for this novel would be teens and young adults who enjoy angelic and heroic stories. Young readers who don’t like reading about intense themes like those mentioned in the second paragraph of this review might also want to refrain from reading this one.

"Some Dreams are for Real"
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

The premise of the story, and that it covered current issues of today, sounds intriguing. But I can see where the statistical data and the errors would detract from readers' enjoyment. Thank you for your review!
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I like the fact that the book tackles the current issues among the youths. Statistical information in a creative work though! Thank you for this review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It sounds like an interesting read, but it's too bad you couldn't connect with the writing.
Great review!
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

It sounds like a good premise but with poor writing/organization. Not my favorite thing to read. Thanks for a great review, though!
Basmeen
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basmeen.html
Latest Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Post by Basmeen »

Did a great review.. It almost covers every pros and cons of the book.Addressing the social issues is welcoming but at the same time if the style of writing couldnt connect with the audience then it's more of data stuffed book than story.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I don't mind reading a novel with this kind of theme. If it's well written it can actually be enjoyed by anybody.

The place that got me the most was the overt use of statistics and scientific data. That is especially grating to me because I just finished reviewing a novel yesterday that had the very same problem, only this one was historical and archeological data.

The book quickly starts to feel like it should belong in an academic curriculum. I don't think I'll be touching this one.

Thanks for the in depth review
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

The statistical data in the book would definitely turn me off. This, coupled with the many errors must have made the book difficult to read. Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the book covers some good topics, topics that need to be discussed. However, the telling and all the statistics would make this a more difficult read. Hopefully the author can revise this a bit. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Great review. Because Emma's spirit is assisting and guiding family and friends, i do hope she achieves her purpose and get a second chance.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The synopsis of the story line sounded interesting. Looks like the author got sidetracked with an information overload. This would be an enjoyable story if there were a focus on the plot without all ther peripherals. Thanks for the insightful review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”