Official Review: Time Changes Everything

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Time Changes Everything

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Time Changes Everything" by Jane Craig Sebok.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We’ve all been there—that moment as a teenager when you get so fed up with your parents for not understanding you. It’s a universal experience that author Jane Craig Sebok captures brilliantly in Time Changes Everything.

Caitlin has always been on the outside. Add that her best friend moved away in middle school and her father left two years ago, and Caitlin feels like the most lonely, uncool kid around. It doesn’t help that she’s always at odds with her mom. When she reaches her breaking point, Caitlin decides to go to North Carolina and live with her dad. At the bus stop in the middle of the night, she meets a Mr. G, who tells Caitlin he can help if she trusts him. Not knowing quite why, Caitlin does.

The next thing Caitlin knows, she’s a college student in the 1970s with her nineteen-year-old mother as a roommate. Caitlin can barely believe this smoking, swearing girl is her mother, but doubts aren’t her biggest problem. Mr. G sent her back in time to learn something, and Caitlin’s only got a week to figure out what it is.

I absolutely loved this story. Caitlin’s emotions and struggles are ones I can vividly remember dealing with in my teen years. Having survived high school, there were many times I found myself talking to my Kindle while reading this, telling Caitlin to realize she’s making a poor choice or that she shouldn’t do something. Like my mother’s lectures during my teen years, my advice fell on deaf ears.

This book’s concept is one that will stick with me for a long time. I can’t be the only person who’s ever wondered what her parents were like as teenagers. It’s easy to picture one’s parents as entities who popped into existence as adults. While my parents have told me stories about reckless choices or nights where they just shouldn’t have had one more drink, this book put the parent-adult child relationship into perspective for me. I loved watching Caitlin realize that her mother was once a teenager who made poor choices. Even better was Caitlin yelling at her mom for the same bad choices Caitlin got yelled at for in the future. It was role reversal at its finest.

This book is full of important lessons for teenagers, especially those feeling lonely and scared. Caitlin’s character arc is beautifully illustrated. Without spoiling, I loved that, even toward the end, she was still waffling about what to do. It was a perfect example of how decisions aren’t always so simple. It’s not always clear what the right thing is, and even if it is, there are lots of factors that can cloud making the right choice.

At first glance, this looks like a book aimed at teenagers, which, in a way, I suppose it is. In my opinion, it’s much more than that. While Caitlin’s experiences are ones teens could benefit from reading, I think those same experiences might turn teens away from this book. I know there are exceptions, but what geek in high school wants to be told “don’t be cool?” I feel like the teenagers most likely to connect with Caitlin’s story are the ones that don’t need the lessons. That said, I would absolutely recommend this to readers as young as thirteen or fourteen, girls especially. More so, though, I think adult readers who want to look back at their teen years and have the fictional experience of meeting their parents as young adults would really enjoy this.

The book was edited well. It’s written in third-person past tense, but a large chunk of the narration is put into Caitlin’s direct first-person thoughts. While there was more of this than I would have liked, it didn’t detract from my overall reading experience. It is with great pleasure that I award Time Changes Everything 4 out of 4 stars. My specific reader recommendations are outlined above, but I encourage everyone to give this book a try. Not on board yet? In Caitlin’s English class, the teacher asks what the main themes of Romeo and Juliet are, to which one kid replies “Uh, if you love something too much, you die?” There’s an example of the humor accompanying all the deep emotions. If that doesn’t convince you this book is the real deal, I don’t know what will.

Time Changes Everything
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Going back in time to meet your parents at an earlier age would be fascinating. It would be a different perspective for sure. I would love to see what lessons she learns. Thanks. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

What a unique and interesting concept! It would be so cool to go back in time and hang out with my parents. Like you, I've wondered what they were like when they were young. On top of that, that student response to Romeo and Juliet is not only funny but authentic. It reminds me of my time as an English teacher and some of the funny and crazy things students would say about the literature. I can see why you gave it such an outstanding review. I am going to add this to my "to read" shelf.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

There are so many great lessons to be learned from this book, and it appears, the lessons are given in a captivating manner. It seems to be a great use of perspective that we should all learn to apply, not only when it comes to our parents, but everyone around us as well.

I love how well you have picked out the themes and devices used in the narrative, like pointing out that humor is integrated in the exploration of deep, yet heartbreakingly honest opinions of people, young or otherwise.
What I don't quite understand, are the motives of the Mr. G character, but I suspect I will, once I read the book (yes, I am definitely on board).

"Like my mother’s lectures during my teen years, my advice fell on deaf ears."
This is so relatable, it made me laugh out loud. Really awesome review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

wow, I love the plot. Sounds interesting. I will definitely check out this one. Thank you for your review
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

My parents tell me stories of their teenage years and I've always been curious of what it they were really like. Interesting concept, I'll check it out.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

This book sounds so awesome! Currently having a teenage daughter, and also having once been a teenage girl myself, I think I'm in a stage of life where I can really appreciate this plot. I'm glad to hear that the author has taken an excellent idea and executed it well.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love how you expanded the recommendations to a wider audience. Like you said, everyone has probably had this question floating around in their mind. This book sounds good for the story line but also for the deeper lessons it teaches. Thanks.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Wow, I love the concept of this book. It has a Back to the Future vibe almost. I think I would give this book a try. Thanks for the review!
twenty7d
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by twenty7d »

sounds like a nice read, in most cases I find that reading time travelling kind of books works best than watching it on tv I get so lost you'd think I have no experience with movies and what so ever.
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

Sounds like a good one! I will add it to my shelves.

Is the Mr. G character believable? He sounds a little sketchy!

Thanks for the review.
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Wow...this is one of the most unique descriptions of a book I have ever read! Your review is incredibly intriguing, and I will absolutely be reading this book soon. Thank you for sharing your thoughts; well done :)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Not on board yet? In Caitlin’s English class, the teacher asks what the main themes of Romeo and Juliet are, to which one kid replies “Uh, if you love something too much, you die?” There’s an example of the humor accompanying all the deep emotions. If that doesn’t convince you this book is the real deal, I don’t know what will.
That's hilarious!
I've often wondered how much I really know about my parents teenage years or how much I got a "cleaner" version of their lives. Being a teen is hard and the premise of this book is amazing and relatable. Can't wait to read it! Thank you so much for the compelling review!
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

This sound like a great read even for a parent. Some of us dread the teenage years of anxiety and doubt. Remembering that we were there too, might help putt things into perspective. Thank you for this wonderfully insightful review.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Spot on! "We’ve all been there" indeed. Now that I'm a mum of two teenagers, I could definitely see where my parents were coming from when I was at that stage. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”