Official Review: Matsyagandha by Pooja Gupta

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Official Review: Matsyagandha by Pooja Gupta

Post by Swat3737 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Matsyagandha" by Pooja Gupta.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matsyagandha is the mythological history of a warrior princess by author Pooja Gupta. This tale is set in an ancient time where several clans of half-human, half-animal beings battle to reign supreme over all the land and resources. The title character, Matsyagandha, is a young princess of the Matsya clan who are mermaids and mermen capable of walking on land as well. At the age of 10, Matsyagandha witnessed a great battle where her father was killed and the land crumbled into separate islands for the various clans. One clan is half-snake, another is half-bird and the book shares the histories of all the clans’ relationships.

Matsyagandha wants to fulfill her father’s dream of reuniting all the clans and claim her role as protector and Queen of the clans. She abandons a potential marriage to follow her destiny and accepts challenges from each of the clans to prove her merit. She travels to the different islands and learns the customs of the clans to complete these challenges, some of which are incredibly dangerous. Even though her life is at risk, Matsyagandha’s values stay strong and she is committed to protecting those who cannot protect themselves. Her journey includes friendship, fantastical creatures, betrayal, loss and adventure.

My favorite aspect of this book is the focus on strong, independent women. This is intended as a young adult novel and I believe it would show young women that they have the potential to accomplish their dreams despite obstacles. Matsyagandha is an independent, feisty and dedicated young woman, and throughout her adventure, she interacts with several other inspirational women. Her mother Queen Meenakshi has ruled their clan alone since her father’s death, and the Naaga clan of snake people has a group of warrior women. Particularly in a country like India, where I am from, this focus on womanhood is incredibly important.

I also really enjoyed the historical details of each clan. It was clear the author envisioned an entire ancient fantasy world and her descriptions created beautiful visuals of the creatures and islands. The tension between the clans was palpable and the characters’ internal and external conflicts were credible. However, one of the challenges in reading this book was that the transitions from flashbacks to current action did not flow well and it was difficult to keep track of what period or what clan was being described. The backbone for the plot is very strong, but the sequence of events should be refined to seamlessly move between past and present.

Another recommendation to improve the flow of the story would be editing the dialogue to clarify which character is speaking. Throughout the book, dialogue was separated from the paragraph in a back and forth exchange without expected conventions like “Matsyagandha said” or “he asked.” The dialogue was very important to the plot so I often found I had to re-read sections of dialogue to comprehend. I also found several grammatical errors that were enough to impact my reading experience.

I rate Matsyagandha 3 out of 4 stars. The characters were well-developed and engaging, especially Matsyagandha. I truly felt connected to her purpose and values. I also commend author Pooja Gupta for creating such an amazing world, I think this would be a wonderful animated movie. However, I could not rate it 4 stars because of the grammatical errors and the issues with dialogue and flow.

I highly recommend this book to all readers but especially young women. Any fans of fantasy and mythology would particularly enjoy it. Also, though Matsyagandha is by an Indian author, the story is universal and would be enjoyed by people of any culture. The themes of overcoming obstacles, independence and loyalty are relatable to all audiences.

Matsyagandha
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Swat3737's review? Post a comment saying so!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike when it's so confusing as to which character is speaking. It's so interesting, though, that this is a time with mermaids and mermen that walk on land. The main character sounds strong and interesting. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The premise sounds fascinating, and I hope that the author takes your suggestions into consideration. Still, I like that fact that there are strong characters, making it more immersive. Thanks for the review.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

"empowering" is such an admirable quality for a book to have. Not to mention, the author seems to have quite the talent for world-building. I greatly enjoyed reading your review.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This sounds like a fascinating story of mermaids and mermen...and strong independent women. Thank you for the very insightful review. Great job! :)
Swat3737
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 10:23 I dislike when it's so confusing as to which character is speaking. It's so interesting, though, that this is a time with mermaids and mermen that walk on land. The main character sounds strong and interesting. Thanks so much.
Thank you! I agree, it’s hard to picture the mer-people going back and forth between land and water but I love the idea!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Swat3737

Post by Swat3737 »

gen_g wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 00:35 The premise sounds fascinating, and I hope that the author takes your suggestions into consideration. Still, I like that fact that there are strong characters, making it more immersive. Thanks for the review.
Thank you! It was fascinating!
Swat3737

Post by Swat3737 »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 07:19 "empowering" is such an admirable quality for a book to have. Not to mention, the author seems to have quite the talent for world-building. I greatly enjoyed reading your review.
I’ve always wished I had the skill to build a world like this! Thanks!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with you that I enjoy books with strong women in them. It sounds as though the author had a very vivid imagination. Thanks for a wonderful review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is truly a creative storyline. The author has imagined unique characters and a new world for them. I enjoyed your description of the main characters. This looks compelling. Thanks for your insightful opinions about this book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”