Official Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Channeler" by William H Kline IV.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tommy is a high school student who hates math but enjoys reading. He lives in a world where magic has reappeared, forcing the government to capture potential mages. After all, you can't have someone running around who has the potential to create havoc when "normal" people can't stop them; therefore, they must be caught early, before they can do any harm. That hasn't really affected Tommy, though; none of his family was arrested, and he didn't really have any friends taken, either.

On the way home from school one day, he goes past his house, as he's lost in his own world. Tommy finds himself in an unknown area when a mage confronts him and knocks him out. Luckily a man comes to his rescue, (this man is himself a mage) and he tells Tommy that the attack has awoken the mage inside of Tommy. Since the government conducts random mage screenings, Tommy has no choice but to go with the stranger to a special school in order to avoid capture. Tommy must leave behind everything he's ever known; his life will never be the same.

The Channeler by William H. Kline IV is a science fiction/fantasy book with a little over 250 pages. It's fast-paced and action-packed which makes for a quick read. Some violence along with the introduction of dark magic does make this inappropriate for younger audiences; however, high school age kids to adults wouldn't have any problem with the content.

At first glance, you can probably see that this book does have similarities to the Harry Potter series. In fact, if you enjoyed that series, you'll probably be intrigued by this book. Having said that, this is in no way a copy of Rowling's work. Tommy does go off to a magical boarding school, but he doesn't use a train to get there. There aren't any houses that the kids are sorted into. He makes friends, but there was no Hermione Granger or Ronald Weasley.

The book captured my attention from the first pages and didn't let go until the end. The author has built a world that is similar to our own, but yet just different enough to enrapture me. I wanted to be a mage; I wanted to attend this special school. I could find no flaws in his world building.

As for the characters, there is diversity on many levels. There are different ages, different skill levels, different interests and pursuits. Plus, some are good, others bad. I didn't find out who the villain in this particular novel was until right at the end. You'll have to read it and see if you can guess correctly. The only fault I could find was that Tommy isn't always the greatest role model. Still, neither was Harry Potter, as he was constantly breaking the rules and defying authority. In fact, I think Tommy might just be more of a law-abiding citizen than Harry.

Unfortunately, there was one big flaw with the book - the editing. "Incredible" was often substituted for "incredibly." The first word after a semicolon was frequently capitalized when it should not have been. The first word in a sentence was sometimes not capitalized. "Breath" was almost always used in place of "breathe." The errors were frequent and distracting. The book is in desperate need of more proofreading and editing.

Overall, I found myself so wrapped up in The Channeler that I forgot I was reviewing the book. That hasn't happened to me very much lately, so I am desperate to give this book a perfect score. Regrettably, the editing keeps me from doing so. Thus, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a Harry Potter-ish book that can overlook editing errors. Otherwise, you might want to wait until the author revises the book a bit. This was the first book in the series; and, while there wasn't really a cliffhanger, the author manages to hint at things to come. I, for one, will definitely be picking up the second book as soon as it's out.

The Channeler
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What an engaging and honest review! I was intrigued by your words of forgetting you were reviewing the book. It depresses me when I have to take off one star from an otherwise exceptional book, due to editorial/proofreading issues. Thank you much!
Creator22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creator22.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Creator22 »

Harry Potter-ish story? Definitely worth checking out. Sad about the typo errors. Might have to wait a bit before grabbing this one. Thanks for your thorough review.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

The author really created an exciting world and as was just thinking that, in such a world the police may simply become obsolete or they will need to make serious adjustments.Thanks for the review.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

A fast, action packed book, that will appeal to high school aged kids to adult audiences, sounds like a recipe for success. It's too bad the editing issues are a distraction, though. Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 04:45 What an engaging and honest review! I was intrigued by your words of forgetting you were reviewing the book. It depresses me when I have to take off one star from an otherwise exceptional book, due to editorial/proofreading issues. Thank you much!
I know! I really wanted to give this a perfect score, but the editing issues are too many to overlook. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Creator22 wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 05:13 Harry Potter-ish story? Definitely worth checking out. Sad about the typo errors. Might have to wait a bit before grabbing this one. Thanks for your thorough review.
The errors would be easy enough to fix, so I hope the author has some additional proofreading done! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

chiefsimplex wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 07:28 The author really created an exciting world and as was just thinking that, in such a world the police may simply become obsolete or they will need to make serious adjustments.Thanks for the review.
In a world where magic returns, how do you police such a thing? Nevertheless, that's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Prisallen wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 08:25 A fast, action packed book, that will appeal to high school aged kids to adult audiences, sounds like a recipe for success. It's too bad the editing issues are a distraction, though. Great review!
I really recommend the book in spite of the issues. It was that good. However, I do hope the author can fix them and perhaps put out a revised edition. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

This sounds like it was Harry Potter inspired, but I think that's a good thing, as long as the author made it unique and original.
Thanks for the honest review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Crazyreader01 wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 12:35 This sounds like it was Harry Potter inspired, but I think that's a good thing, as long as the author made it unique and original.
Thanks for the honest review.
It was interesting and unique all on its own - I truly did enjoy it. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Grace_94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-94.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Grace_94 »

Sounds interesting, thanks to your review. I'll be checking it out despite my anticipation of typos. Just because it's like Harry Potter.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Another good book that the villain Bad Grammar spoiled! I wish the author the magic to make the errors vanish.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

It is tragic when the editing is less than spectacular, but it is good when a book becomes entertainment instead of "work." I've noticed the options are very religious lately (at least for me), which makes it difficult to really enjoy if you aren't into the subject.

I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I'll add it to my TBR and maybe it will be available for me to review, too!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

You got my attention right from when you let me know that this book can be an intriguing read to a fan of the Harry Potter series. If he makes friends that are no Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley, what were they like then? I would surely like to find out. Beautiful review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”